lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2019, 07:43 AM   #1
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default New Owner With Some Questions

I’ve really enjoyed reading posts here and learning about all the possibilities of making my cart my own (ok it’s actually dangerous for me to be on here, I never knew a lot of this even existed!).

I have a couple questions that I couldn’t find while searching about my 2009 Club Car Precedent 48V:

1) There is a yellow bullet style connection in the battery bank, the MadJax instructions reference it for use with their kit. What is this connection for exactly? It seems like it’s simply serving as a neutral connection in regards to the kit?

2) My cart currently has the headlights and blinker kit wired direct to a single battery. I’ve read a reducer is desired for battery health...just how much will it drain the battery? Is there a safety concern with running off of a single battery versus a reducer?
JWreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: New Owner With Some Questions

Your answers:

1) The negative comes from the Controller B- connection and it needs to be used so the OBC in your cart (the device that controls charging) can account for how much current is being discharged from the batteries by your accessories.

2) The effect in the pack is compound since You don't charge each battery individually. Depending how much is used, during the next charge cycle since all batteries get the same amount of energy, the other batteries will get overcharged and the tapped battery(s) may not get enough charge by the time the pack reaches the "charged" state. The capacity of your entire pack is also equal to the lowest capacity battery.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #3
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Your answers:

1) The negative comes from the Controller B- connection and it needs to be used so the OBC in your cart (the device that controls charging) can account for how much current is being discharged from the batteries by your accessories.

2) The effect in the pack is compound since You don't charge each battery individually. Depending how much is used, during the next charge cycle since all batteries get the same amount of energy, the other batteries will get overcharged and the tapped battery(s) may not get enough charge by the time the pack reaches the "charged" state. The capacity of your entire pack is also equal to the lowest capacity battery.
Thanks for the insight. So on #2, would you suggest combining multiple accessories into one reducer with the appropriate amperage rating, rather than running separate reducers?
Old 12-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes, all your accessories should work off a single converter.

Get a 20 or 30 amp converter that has the appropriate connectors to tap into the Precedent harness and it makes the installation with key switch control much easier:
https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...-precedent-30a
If You have a winch, that would require a separate 12v battery due to the load requirement.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #5
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Yes, all your accessories should work off a single converter.

Get a 20 or 30 amp converter that has the appropriate connectors to tap into the Precedent harness and it makes the installation with key switch control much easier:
https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...-precedent-30a
If You have a winch, that would require a separate 12v battery due to the load requirement.
Forgive me as I’m learning here, but is the value of the converter you linked that accessories go on and off with the turn of the key? Would that converter work with something like the MadJax ultimate light kit?
Old 12-11-2019, 01:02 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes, the key switch control means the 12v output turns OFF when the cart key switch is turned OFF.

MadJax also makes a converter that has both switched 12v and a "always ON" 12v output if you install a radio that needs constant power to keep settings.

I am not sure if they sell the small harness to tap into the existing Precedent harness for their converters, but perhaps one of the site sponsors will see this thread and comment on availability.

The plug-and-play harness is not a requirement, but it makes it easier to install the converter.

Edit:
The method above is the best but not the only way.

If You really don't think You will use the 12v accessories a lot, rather than being tempted to not use a converter, just get one of those small cheap ones from amazon that are always ON.

Last edited by Sergio; 12-11-2019 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Other options.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #7
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Yes, the key switch control means the 12v output turns OFF when the cart key switch is turned OFF.

MadJax also makes a converter that has both switched 12v and a "always ON" 12v output if you install a radio that needs constant power to keep settings.

I am not sure if they sell the small harness to tap into the existing Precedent harness for their converters, but perhaps one of the site sponsors will see this thread and comment on availability.

The plug-and-play harness is not a requirement, but it makes it easier to install the converter.

Edit:
The method above is the best but not the only way.

If You really don't think You will use the 12v accessories a lot, rather than being tempted to not use a converter, just get one of those small cheap ones from amazon that are always ON.
I’ll look for the MadJax one, I am looking at the one you linked and I like the idea but unsure if it’s plug and play and I’m trying to keep it simple. I only have the Ultimate light kit and a set of LED underbody lighting...for now. :)

My MadJax light kit blew a capacitor in the turn signal relay and the shop said they believe the converter was bad and actually pumping 48v to it which is what caused it to blow. Sad day. :(
Old 12-12-2019, 08:17 AM   #8
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Any experience with a converter such as this? Seems pretty basic. I’m guessing one of these connections goes to the OBC wire mentioned earlier.

Cllena DC 36V 48V Step Down to 12V 30A 360W Voltage Reducer Converter, Waterproof DC/DC Buck Transformer Power Supply https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L7M82WF..._aZJ8DbBR4XM0M
Old 12-12-2019, 09:16 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I never used those types, but you just wire them like this:
Both Black wires connect to the existing 10ga black wire with Yellow bullet connector.
The Red wire connects to the pack positive battery post. You should already have a spare female 1/4" quick connector there.
The Yellow wire connects to the Blue wire that goes into the bucket harness.
You said the shop thinks your existing converter is bad, do You have one or you accidentally connected the bucket harness Blue wire to the pack positive without a converter?
Old 12-12-2019, 08:26 PM   #10
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
I never used those types, but you just wire them like this:
Both Black wires connect to the existing 10ga black wire with Yellow bullet connector.
The Red wire connects to the pack positive battery post. You should already have a spare female 1/4" quick connector there.
The Yellow wire connects to the Blue wire that goes into the bucket harness.
You said the shop thinks your existing converter is bad, do You have one or you accidentally connected the bucket harness Blue wire to the pack positive without a converter?
No, it had one to positive and one to the OBC on the input side, and the other end to the MadJax harness for output side.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car