lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
bigb00st
Not Yet Wild

Default 06 Precedent Alltrax 400 & FSIP Motor Install Results

Hey guys, first post, just picked up a 2006 Precedent IQ/GE Motor and it, much like all of my toys, has gotten out of control already. I just wanted a little more speed out of it for cruises.

I originally purchased the Speed Code 5 box, for some reason it didn't work, got with a friend who had the Private Code 4 and a handheld, well for some reason my controller would not connect, tried cleaning the port, tried connecting directly to the controller, still no dice. Started looking for a replacement controller and came across a smokin deal on a 2 month old 48400 and FSIP speed motor on ebay, ended up getting both for $569 shipped.

Of course my motor removal was a rusted seized coupling, had to sacrifice the motor and do the brake drum / diff drop move (thank god it worked)

Motor, Solenoid, and Controller install was pretty straight forward, controller has FSIP field map in it already, here were my results.

Stock everything with 22" Tires - 16mph GPS

Mods with 22" Tires - 31mph GPS

3 Month old 4/12 Trojans
Stock Battery Cables
Alltrax 48400 Controller
JCC200 Solenoid
FSIP Speed Motor

I feel like I should be able to get a bit more out of it, the front end alignment is a little whack right now so I'm hoping between that and some warmer weather it will pick up a few more mph.

Any thoughts!? I want to hook my laptop up and get a monitor file just to see if everything is working as it should. I figured 33-34 would be attainable but I'm certainly not upset about peaking at 31.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2162.JPG (125.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2948.jpg (186.0 KB, 0 views)
bigb00st is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 06 Precedent Alltrax 400 & FSIP Motor Install Results

31 on lead acid batteries is about it. You might be able to pick up a few mph by fine tuning with lighter rearend oil replacing your wheel bearings ect.

Do you know if your able to reach the rpm limit or not?

Lithium will take you to much higher speeds if you can safely up the rpm limit on the motor. The extra voltage gives you more top end. Your controller will handle up to 62v.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #3
bigb00st
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkerle View Post
31 on lead acid batteries is about it. You might be able to pick up a few mph by fine tuning with lighter rearend oil replacing your wheel bearings ect.

Do you know if your able to reach the rpm limit or not?

Lithium will take you to much higher speeds if you can safely up the rpm limit on the motor. The extra voltage gives you more top end. Your controller will handle up to 62v.

I have not even hooked anything to the controller yet so I have no idea what its doing. Since it was used it already had the correct field map and assumed the settings were at least "close" to what they should be.

I finished up the install late last night and just took it around the block real quick just to see what it would do, was about 40* outside, cart had been off the charger a few days while I was working on it (I'm new to the cart world so I dont know if a few days not on the charger will really affect anything but I figured was worth mentioning)

I'll verify RPM, Voltage Drop, Amperage etc today when I get home from work, I'm a gear head so I love seeing all the data anyways lol.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #4
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb00st View Post
I have not even hooked anything to the controller yet so I have no idea what its doing. Since it was used it already had the correct field map and assumed the settings were at least "close" to what they should be.

I finished up the install late last night and just took it around the block real quick just to see what it would do, was about 40* outside, cart had been off the charger a few days while I was working on it (I'm new to the cart world so I dont know if a few days not on the charger will really affect anything but I figured was worth mentioning)

I'll verify RPM, Voltage Drop, Amperage etc today when I get home from work, I'm a gear head so I love seeing all the data anyways lol.
Be extremely careful with the programming cable. If its hooked up to your laptop or to the controller and the opposing end touches the battery terminals game over...

Also note, if you over rev an electric motor the windings inside can break loose causing the motor to lock up. If that happens your rear tires will lock up. Not a good situation. That being said I have taken a few motors way past the manufacturers specs just beware of the risk and maybe who is on the cart at the time. Max on lithium with xct400 and Adrmial speed motor I got 44mph but I was on 26in tires.

I would check your tires against a tape measure. I ran a set of "22" tires that measured 19in.

Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #5
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Stock everything with 22" Tires
How did you fit 22" tires on a stock cart?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #6
bigb00st
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
How did you fit 22" tires on a stock cart?
Trim the rear quarters and don't make hard right hand turns lol.

I am however seeing conflicting information online.

I have the 215/35/14 "Backlash" tires. One website says 22.5" tall, another says 20" so it's up for debate.

This is what I have on the cart, with stock suspension/no lift.

https://petesgolfcarts.com/wheels-ti...file-backlash/
Old 12-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #7
bigb00st
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkerle View Post
Be extremely careful with the programming cable. If its hooked up to your laptop or to the controller and the opposing end touches the battery terminals game over...

Also note, if you over rev an electric motor the windings inside can break loose causing the motor to lock up. If that happens your rear tires will lock up. Not a good situation. That being said I have taken a few motors way past the manufacturers specs just beware of the risk and maybe who is on the cart at the time. Max on lithium with xct400 and Adrmial speed motor I got 44mph but I was on 26in tires.

I would check your tires against a tape measure. I ran a set of "22" tires that measured 19in.

Thank you for the tip, I'll be very careful!

I don't want to do anything overly dangerous just to get a mph or two out of it. I'll start with verifying everything in the electrical system is working as intended and go from there!
Old 12-13-2019, 12:42 AM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb00st View Post
-snip-

I have the 215/35/14 "Backlash" tires. One website says 22.5" tall, another says 20" so it's up for debate.
Not really. Lets just do the math ourselves and determine exactly what they are.

You have a tread width of 215mm and a sidewall at 35% with a 14" tall wheel.

35x215
100 = 75.25mm (sidewall)

So now we convert 75.25mm to inches
25.4 = 2.963 inches

There are two sidewalls (upper & lower)
2.962/2 = 5.926 inches

Now you add in the 14" wheel height
5.926 + 14 = 19.926 or a basically a 20" tire height.

Remember how to do the math and then in the future you can figure it for yourself. Then you know when you are doing your own tire shopping what will or will not work. This is also good when you are going to wider tires on your automobile and do not want to throw your speedometer off.

And yes, your cart will run a little faster if your pack can get you up to full RPM with 22" tires as when you add to the top end you are taking from the bottom end. You will have to install a lift kit to run 22" tires on that cart....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:45 AM   #9
bigb00st
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Not really. Lets just do the math ourselves and determine exactly what they are.

You have a tread width of 215mm and a sidewall at 35% with a 14" tall wheel.

35x215
100 = 75.25mm (sidewall)

So now we convert 75.25mm to inches
25.4 = 2.963 inches

There are two sidewalls (upper & lower)
2.962/2 = 5.926 inches

Now you add in the 14" wheel height
5.926 + 14 = 19.926 or a basically a 20" tire height.

Remember how to do the math and then in the future you can figure it for yourself. Then you know when you are doing your own tire shopping what will or will not work. This is also good when you are going to wider tires on your automobile and do not want to throw your speedometer off.

And yes, your cart will run a little faster if your pack can get you up to full RPM with 22" tires as when you add to the top end you are taking from the bottom end. You will have to install a lift kit to run 22" tires on that cart....
Yeah, I know what the math adds up to, unfortunately its not that simple because all tires are not created equal.

You can have 2 different brand tires next to each other with identical profile and aspect ratio but will not be identical in actual size, some run wide, some run tall, etc.

I run 2 different 275/60/15 tires on my racecar depending on what track I'm going to, one of them is over an inch wider than the other, but they're both "275s"

Typically I'd trust a golf cart specific vendor selling golf cart specific tires but I'm just going to measure them myself to verify, based on some of the speeds I've been hitting a 20" tire seems closer to correct than 22.5" but I'll find out today.

Thank you for breaking that down, I'm sure it will benefit others as well.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Use this http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/speed-calculator.php and when you input 6200 rpm, 12.315 GR, and 20" tire you get exactly 30 mph. At 6500 rpm you get 31.4 mph.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car