lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #1
Sweathog
Not Yet Wild

Default Voltage meter wired to key switch

Have a 2014 club car precedent
I ordered scottyb voltage meter
I want to hook it to key switch so I tested the wires with my meter
I have 49 volts on both terminals with the key switch on but when I turn key switch off I have 16 volts on cold side of the switch I still have 49 on the other side of switch is this normal or is something wrong
Cart runs fine
Not very smart on this stuff
Thanks
Sweathog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-01-2020, 12:47 PM   #2
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

I see you are a new member to this forum, congratulations this site is fantastic for information. Do you have a DC to DC converter hooked up to your batteries? If not a lot of times your lights are hooked up to two batteries on the Cart. This then shows up as 16 volts on the key switch. To correct the problem and save your batteries you need to purchase a DC to DC 48 volt converter from one of our sponsors. This will eliminate the that feedback of 16 volts you see on your key switch. How do I know, had same problem Sergio pointed me in right direction a couple of months ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #3
Sweathog
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Voltage meter wired to key switch

Thank you for the welcome
Yes I do have a light kit hooked up to two batteries
Old 01-01-2020, 02:00 PM   #4
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Purchase a converter from Scottyb then hook it up across full battery pack. The question now is where do you mount this converter? Some people mount it in battery compartment others mount it in front of cart on frame behind light. It’s probably easier to mount in battery compartment then run a single wire to key switch to turn on. Or leave everything the same and just leave battery meter hooked up to 48v side of key switch and it will be on all the time. The meter only draws a very small amount of current and will not harm your batteries. For myself i installed a small switch above meter to turn meter off an on. The light from the meter bothered my wife while she was driving cart.

Old 01-01-2020, 05:54 PM   #5
Sweathog
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbob View Post
I see you are a new member to this forum, congratulations this site is fantastic for information. Do you have a DC to DC converter hooked up to your batteries? If not a lot of times your lights are hooked up to two batteries on the Cart. This then shows up as 16 volts on the key switch. To correct the problem and save your batteries you need to purchase a DC to DC 48 volt converter from one of our sponsors. This will eliminate the that feedback of 16 volts you see on your key switch. How do I know, had same problem Sergio pointed me in right direction a couple of months ago.

That was the problem I unhooked the lights & the 16v went away
I will order a 48 to 12 reducer
Old 01-01-2020, 06:07 PM   #6
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

[emoji106]

Old 01-01-2020, 07:21 PM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

While my volt meter is hooked to a switch it is for other reasons I'd like to point out that you can simply hook the voltage meter across the battery pack and leave it turned on 24/7 the amperage draw is absolutely tiny on the volt meter and it will NOT cause your batteries any harm if left on continuously. This also allows you to monitor your voltage while charging too. Mine has been on for over 5 years straight...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:01 PM   #8
Sweathog
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
While my volt meter is hooked to a switch it is for other reasons I'd like to point out that you can simply hook the voltage meter across the battery pack and leave it turned on 24/7 the amperage draw is absolutely tiny on the volt meter and it will NOT cause your batteries any harm if left on continuously. This also allows you to monitor your voltage while charging too. Mine has been on for over 5 years straight...

Ok good to know thanks
Old 01-01-2020, 08:13 PM   #9
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Teecro to did not go into a great depth with Sweathog about wiring meter. What I actually did on mine is install DC to DC converter in front of cart on front member frame. I then ran 10 gage wires from 48V battery pack to front of cart to terminal board. The reason for 10 gage wire was seeing 10 to 15 milli volt drop as measured from my voltmeter from my battery to the gage. I then placed a small terminal block behind dash, terminating these leads from key switch with the wires from the 10 gage terminal. With this setup I can read true voltage of batteries. I also mounted A blue seas fuse block replacing the inline fuse on the converter in the front in case I needed extra accessories to be hooked up.

I know this was overkill but as a sparky with the government it bugged me to see the drop in voltage from the battery to the gage because of the small gage wiring used in the original harness.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car