lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2020, 07:32 PM   #1
PreyDrive
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Brake Light Question

I was getting ready to install a lighted license plate bracket. My first step was going to be identify what wire I would need to tap into to connect the lighted bracket to my headlights/tail lights at the brake light. When I went to check my brake lights I discovered they were turning on once I released the parking brake (regardless of having the key in the ignition or not). How do I go about identifying why the lights are staying lit once I release the parking brake? This is the case even when the headlights are turned off, there is no change in the brightness of the lights when you depress the brake when the headlights are on either. I had never looked if there was a difference in the past. I have been working on the items needed to get my cart inspected in the state of Florida to be converted to a low speed vehicle (LSV)
PreyDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2020, 07:38 PM   #2
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Brake Light Question

what kind of cart ? did you use a harness or tap into an existing one ? did you use a voltage reduce ?....need more info and pics if possible....
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #3
PreyDrive
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Brake Light Question

Cart is a 1995 DS, I believe these are the factory head light and tail lights. I did install a reducer and turn signals but on a different circuit with different lights/bulbs. Pictures of the set up for reference. Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2020, 04:32 AM   #4
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Is that grounded to the frame ? I can't tell from the pics....
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:32 AM   #5
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

no its not . its a two switch system . first one under the cart turns the brake light lights on and off as you drive . the second one turns the brake lights off after you apply the parking brake so the lights dont stay on.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:33 AM   #6
PreyDrive
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

No the green wire is connected to a micro switch and should be back to common ground. I do not have anything grounded to the frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2020, 08:50 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There should be no negative wire on the brake light pedal connection.

As mentioned, there is a NC switch on the parking brake that interrupts the circuit when the pedal is locked pressed.

There is also a NO switch on the brake pedal that completes the circuit when the pedal is pressed.

Both switches should interrupt the +12v positive wire to the turn signal assembly brake pedal input.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:01 AM   #8
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

On my DS the switch you're talking about with the green and red wire and plunger always get out of whack. I just get my hand under the cart and push it forward until you feel it open. I have to do this every other month or so and to be honest its probably an easy fix I just haven't taken the time due to it taking about 5 seconds to readjust.

Basically when you hit the brake it allows the plunger to extend and closes the switch. On mine, over time, the switch will back off and the plunger will extend enough without pushing the pedal and keep the lights on permanently. The reason they go off with the parking brake is that switch (at the top of the pedal) cuts power to the brake circuit all together.

If that switch position turns out to be the problem carefully adjust it. If you push it in too far the brakes wont come on at all or wont come on unless you are cramming your foot into the floor! Its a pretty fine line between your brake lights being on all the time and not wanting to come on at all.

Cars (at least older ones) used a similar system except they were typically a threaded adjustment that could easily be fine tuned and not back off! This is what should have been done to these DS's in the first place!
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:08 AM   #9
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Also once you fix the brake lights being on at all times you should see your tail lights working on and off with the light switch, right now they are always on "high" due to the brakes being on. At that time you would want to tap into two wires that provide power and ground to the tail lights to hook up the tag lights. Good luck on getting the cart registered as soon as I get mine in that 20-25 mph speed range I hope to do the same.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:04 PM   #10
PreyDrive
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Awesome thanks! I will be looking at this tonight!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car