lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #21
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 clutch spring upgrade

I think stock preload B-4 and umax is good for most carts with 22s, with stock spring you may want little more. But like I said if you want it more then try it, it may work for you and your cart better. Going too far just does not help a lot because if the cart has 10hp then it will have it WOT stock or more preload, its just how fast it reacts. And with a ton of preload it will not react to LESS throttle it will stay like its floored. If you let off and go steady speed and rpm drop then its still shifting you can try more if you want. Just saying its not going to give you more power it just changes the reaction and with a lift and big tires you usually need more reaction to pull them. How much, well try it and see but over stock I would recommend you use only enough more to do what you need. If you put a lot in there you will see what I mean...some more is great a lot is not that great. But due to differences in carts I don't know what yours is doing. One place I go has a 10mph road I remember driving down it and the motor is all revved up and I thought well this is dumb, I had the preload way high with the stock spring and I moved it back down to just above stock. After a while I got a umax and it worked great, but again my primary I modded before the umax so I could pull boats out of a lake and tow other trailers. I also run a cut secondary sheave that gives you more power from a dead stop no matter how your clutch works. In the end I think you are better off trying it and taking the rotten thing apart again to find out, once you do you will be happy, and you wont touch it again you will be asking about a BB in your cart lol. My clone is the best thing I ever did to it, its a lot of fun having a little power in there.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #22
AJMcCool
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Took it back apart tonight, gonna try it on B 4 tomorrow.
AJMcCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:46 PM   #23
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Its worth it to have it work like you want it to. Let us know how it works out.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:46 AM   #24
ja564rm80
Not Yet Wild

I know what your saying. I went from b2 to b4 and it was a noticeable difference. In a good way for me. Like you said I want more low end then speed. I put a new plowmans primary on and rebuilt the secondary with new helix,collar and umax spring. My sheaves are prettt worn on the secondary but I think for now they will work. I don't have any mods to the motor not do I plan any. It would be nice to tow my 8000 pound truck around the pits at the pulls but I just don't think the cart will do it lol.
ja564rm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:51 PM   #25
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Save your pennies and get a cut secondary sheave from CPP and the HD kevlar cogged belt. I ran umax and those two made a big difference. The cut sheave will give a lower gear for towing it makes a big difference under 5mph. The belt helps do the same, also a really good belt that does not wear, its a utv/atv belt. But the cut sheave is great for towing you will be surprised. The umax great for big tires and trail riding and helps at most speeds. The belt helps at lower speeds and does work nicer, also works nicer on worn sheaves. You can cut your sheave too you machine the inside so they go closer together and push the belt out of the top of sheaves a little. The CPP cut sheave is really heavy duty sheave not like the thin cheap aftermarket ones, its a heavy one. Those will give about all you can get out of the cart with that engine. Still should get top speed you always had. With a cut sheave you can pull just about anything on pavement that has wheels on it.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:14 PM   #26
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have pulled 1/2 ton trucks with golf carts (not far & not fast), never tried anything heavier tho. Bigger than stock size tires hurts things pretty badly when asking it to drag stuff. 8k is a lot to ask of a 1000 pound vehicle with 9.6 HP when it rolled off the line. Keep tire sizes on the smaller side if you wanna use a mostly stock cart to pull heavy stuff.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:52 PM   #27
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Heaviest things I have pulled are an empty car hauler, its all angle iron and dual axle but lot of weight on the hitch. Also pulled a fiberglass 19' boat with a small block V8 I/O in it. Both were on grass and gravel, and pavement is much easier. With 22s it could barely get them moving but it did. I was only moving them around the property though I may have launched the boat and pulled the empty trailer out. I don't want to break the cart so I tend to not do that stuff much. With the clone it pulls more but again I don't want to smoke the belt or break something so I don't try to do more than that. Don't want to put more weight on the hitch with something heavier, those almost lift the front tires. Getting to where it may bend the frame or something maybe and not going to do that. I pull smaller stuff all the time with no issues. It did break the new secondary spring pulling a lawn roller, but the clutch closes and I can't see where the pressure on the spring is any different towing or not, I think the spring was defective. The clutch is all new other than the steel fixed sheave.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:27 PM   #28
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yep, and the G2/9 has a tendency to fold at the top of the hoops (just behind the seat) when hit from behind. I don't want to find the "tongue weight" limit that way.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:04 PM   #29
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I know, once a friend was ah, in bad shape and hit the gas in reverse and hit a tree. Next morning realized what happened the bumper was hitting the tire. Came running to me to help out. I chained it to a tree and kept banging on it, it was funny, finally got it back out. Bent right at the shock mounts the whole rear sits on there.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:35 AM   #30
AJMcCool
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I got it all back together on B4. It was definitely an improvement. I think after this summer I will replace the sheaves. The belt is in good shape. If I get some spare time I think I will try it on C1 just to see what the difference would be.
AJMcCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha