lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
Boone2020
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 starter pulley spins but belt wont

My dad and I were gifted a 1998 G16A from a retired buddy of ours. The only condition was it need some work done to it. I ran it for about a week with minor issues like a delayed take off. I was on my way back to my cart shed when it just died on me. The starter belt appeared to be the issue as it was about cracked in half . So I repaced the starter belt, fuel filter, air filter, battery and tension bolt (old one was stripped and bent). When I first tried to fire it up after I replaced the starter belt the pulley would barely turn ( I think it moved the belt once about half an inch). So I figured either the belt was too tight or I needed to replace the battery. Replaced the battery and loosened the belt and now it does what it was doing before (pulley spinning but not the belt). Its like the pulley dose not have enough grip to turn the belt. I have tried about everything I can think off. I apologize if I'm not explaining things every well as I'm not mechanically inclined at all. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks,
Michael
Boone2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G16 starter pulley spins but belt wont

Grab the primary clutch (engine clutch) and make sure you can turn the motor over by hand
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:32 PM   #3
Boone2020
Not Yet Wild

Not to sure exactly what that is or where it is located. I'm sure I can figure it out. Ill give it a try when I get off work.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
Boone2020
Not Yet Wild

Well the engine clutch will not turn. I used a club cart for reference. They all turn over by hand. Nothing will turn on mine besides the starter pulley. What kind of issues am I looking at now.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:27 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If the motor is locked up that is bad, either something internal broke like a rod or cam, or something in the flywheel came apart maybe. Have to take it apart and see. There are not that many parts in there. Or you can swap in a rebuilt block after you verify its internal, or you can put a larger engine in clones are only $300 but you need to make or buy a mount and put together an exhaust and connect cables and so on its a project but not as bad if you buy mounts or kit.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:55 PM   #6
Boone2020
Not Yet Wild

I have been doing some reading myself and that is essentially what I found.I read on post that mentioned putting oil in the spark plug holes and some times that can loosen a piston (if that is the issue) after a while and enable the clutch to move. Is this recommended? Will this cause further damage? Would like to eliminate the easy stuff/cheaper fixes first before I go spending the cash on a rebuild or new motor. Thank you for the response, much appreciated.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I bought a seized-up G9, with no oil drain plug..... "Just to see what would happen" I put a breaker bar & a charger pipe on the clutch bolt, I forced the motor to break-free. I ran that motor over a year & put over a thousand miles on it. It did eventually die, but ran good in the meantime.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:04 PM   #8
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Judging by your post (no offense) but I'd think you would be better off with either taking it and and rebuilding or dropping in a new oem motor
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:03 AM   #9
Boone2020
Not Yet Wild

Sounds like that may be the easiest option. Not so bad considering I didn't pay anything for the cart. I might try a few things to get that clutch to turn but not expecting much. Again thank you all for the responses, very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2017, 05:23 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Some of them sit and the rings stick, it may run again. But if you are running it and it locks that is usually worse.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha