lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2017, 04:39 AM   #1
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Belt...

What makes belts to fail? (see attached picture)

My friend changed his primary clutch () and on the secondary, the sliding sheave and spring were changed and a spacer installed.

All was perfectly aligned, well greased, etc... He installed a brand new G-Boost belt (heavy duty simple clogged, not the severe double clogged), easy, it was the perfect length.

After only perhaps 50 miles, his belt failed...

I do not know what to search for as all looks really good! Is it possible belts, even made in USA, can have factory defaults?

Any experience ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170805_172413-_1200.jpg (176.4 KB, 0 views)
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2017, 05:45 AM   #2
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: Belt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sformal View Post
What makes belts to fail? (see attached picture)

My friend changed his primary clutch () and on the secondary, the sliding sheave and spring were changed and a spacer installed.

All was perfectly aligned, well greased, etc... He installed a brand new G-Boost belt (heavy duty simple clogged, not the severe double clogged), easy, it was the perfect length.

After only perhaps 50 miles, his belt failed...

I do not know what to search for as all looks really good! Is it possible belts, even made in USA, can have factory defaults?

Any experience ?
It looks like there was a lot of heat caused the delamination of the belt. It didn't tare or separate. Was the new clutch rated for the horse power of the engine? How much of the time was he driving at WOT?
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #3
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
...Was the new clutch rated for the horse power of the engine?
He installed the same driven clutch I installed on mine from CPP; it is supposed to be high performance. Like myself, it is installed on the original engine (Yamaha 301cc, same as the G16-A) which is 10.5HP I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
How much of the time was he driving at WOT?
As I know him, he is never at WOT! *smile ...and it happened when he was arriving at the gate of the compound.

Anyway, what could make a belt to heat? I checked the two clutches and, frankly, nothing looks to be wrong.

I re-installed his old belt (Mitsumi or a name like this, the Yamaha spare part # is stamped on it so it is a real OEM) and both clutches are opening/closing nicely...
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

According to what I remember Glenn (GBoost) telling me, on clutches that are in otherwise good shape, belt slippage causes heat & belt failures. Myself, I only use the OEM belt (on stock applications), or the double cogged heavy duty one (on clutches with any modifications, even just a UMAX spring), that's it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha