lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2017, 12:57 AM   #1
r15col
Not Yet Wild

Default 12v Outlet Switched via ignition

I have a 2016 G29 Cart. I have fitted a 48v to 12v DC/DC Reducer to power a 12v outlet for charging phones etc. All works fine but want to it to be live only when I turn the ignition on. At the moment as it is wired direct to the batteries it is live all the time. Anyone with a little more electrical knowledge than myself have the best solution as to how to wire this up? Thanks.
r15col is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2017, 02:06 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 12v Outlet Switched via ignition

Does your DC converter have 3 input wires? Like red, black, yellow? If not, you should have bought a higher quality converter. If you did buy a cheapo that doesn't, we can still help you, but be ready for that cheapo converter to fail soon (it will). If you use the keyswitch to turn the cheapo "2 wire" one on & off Everytime, it will wear out your keyswitch sooner too. (Surge Everytime key is turned on). Let us know more about what you got.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:59 AM   #3
r15col
Not Yet Wild

Hi cgtech, Yes it is a cheap 2 wire input I bought. Limited supply as I am actually based in the Philippines. I can try and get one with 3 wire input via a friend. Planning to also hook up a light kit also and again this would be through the converter. Thanks
Old 09-12-2017, 03:18 AM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

Sorry, searching for wire diagram, phone forgot password to NAS where stored (I forgot too). This is harder when your diagram is absent, and can't remember in the middle of the night.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:33 AM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

K keyswitch swicthed hot wire is "red with white stripe". Any of those you find should be hot only when key is on. I couldn't remember, the other was red with yellow stripe (always on). Like I said, that cheapo reducer will likely fail soon, and will reduce the life of the key switch. The keyswitch circuit is protected by a small fuse, so don't be surprised if you make the cart inoperable by blowing the small fuse. "Alltrax controllers" replaces that fuse with a 10a fuse, so they say it's good for that much amps (bigger than the stock 3a fuse). Beyond this, all bets are off, and you are responsible for your own actions. If you go stick a 30a fuse, you will probably burn down your cart. Any respectable converter should be able to live within that "7 extra amps" window for powering a couple lights, but I'm not gonna call a cheapo converter "respectable", you never know what you get for $12 from China.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
Tha_B_Man
Gone Wild

Yamaha

An alternative to the key switch is a battery kill switch between your negative battery connection and your voltage reducer. There are various types of kill switches and you can mount them anywhere. I have been using one for over a year and have had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tha_B_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #7
Dan33Klein
Getting Wild

You could also consider using a relay that is triggered by the 48v key switch to activate your reducer.
Dan33Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #8
TIKT B8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I just installed scottyb's voltage reducer and it was a simple install and works just like I (you) want it to. It makes it amazingly easy to add 12v acc.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/12v-reducers.html

Last edited by TIKT B8; 09-12-2017 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: Add link
TIKT B8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #9
r15col
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies, Been doing some more thinking and now plan to install a better quality reducer with a switching connection. I am also going to go away from switching with the ignition switch and will fit a panel with 3 rocker switches as well as USB and 12v Outlet. I will use 1 switch to turn on the reducer as I will not always need 12v. When I do, I just switch it on and then my lights will be on another toggle switch and a third as a spare for future use.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha