lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
Longjack
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 Starting Issues....Is it solenoid?

OK...Back on the island and still having problem with this G16 starting fine at times and then nothing.
I hear the solenoid click when pressing gas, but nothing, so today when it wouldnt start, left key On, pressed accelerator, then put screwdriver across the small solenoid studs, and starts fine.
Does this signify a bad solenoid?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Longjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #2
leschilli67
Getting Wild

Default Re: G16 Starting Issues....Is it solenoid?

In my experience that is a sign of a bad selonoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leschilli67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:05 PM   #3
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Pull the caps on the starter generator and inspect brushes
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
Longjack
Not Yet Wild

Interestingly enough, this started happening after I replaced the brushes....but have to admit, when putting them all back in place and trying to pop them into correct position, have always wondered if they went in correctly. Could this be the issue?
However, after replacing the brushes, many times the cart would run ok, then stop running at times, then start again.
Have read the Sticky on “So your Yami not starting”, but am a little confused in the solenoid test procedure, so will reread and post any questions to make sure I follow correct test procedure. Thx.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #5
Longjack
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for being such a newbie at this, but as I said, am on a remote island with really no access to a mechanic....so we always find ourselves trying to fix things at our own peril.....such as getting knocked over by the cart when I successfully started it with the screwdriver across the 2 small solenoid poles.... :)
I should be moving in 2 days!
Thanks again.

QUESTIONS AS TO THE STICKY....“SO YOUR YAMI NOT STARTING”...........

“If tests good, the red wire goes to the solenoid (to "energize" it),reconect the red wire, now put your volt meter on the (small) red wire at the solenoid and push the accelerator pedal. You should have battery voltage.”
IN THIS TEST, AM I TO TEST BETWEEN THE SMALL RED WIRE AND BLACK NEG ON BATTERY?

“Check the voltage at the (small) black wire at the solenoid, you should have battery voltage at all times (if not, bad ground wire). If you have ground (black wire)and 12 volts positive (red wire) when pedal pushed, your solenoid is bad.”
IN THIS TEST, AM I TO TEST BETWEEN THE 2 SMALL TERMINALS ON SOLENOID?

“Test solenoid output (the 2 big posts), you should have battery voltage at the post that the positive battery cable attatches to, put your meter lead on the post that goes to the starter/generator, push the pedal. You should hear the solenoid click and battery voltage should be present. If not bad solenoid, if good the starter/generator should be checked.”
IN THIS TEST, WHERE DOES MY SECOND METER LEAD GO?
Old 03-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longjack View Post
Sorry for being such a newbie at this, but as I said, am on a remote island with really no access to a mechanic....so we always find ourselves trying to fix things at our own peril.....such as getting knocked over by the cart when I successfully started it with the screwdriver across the 2 small solenoid poles.... :)
I should be moving in 2 days!
Thanks again.

QUESTIONS AS TO THE STICKY....“SO YOUR YAMI NOT STARTING”...........

“If tests good, the red wire goes to the solenoid (to "energize" it),reconect the red wire, now put your volt meter on the (small) red wire at the solenoid and push the accelerator pedal. You should have battery voltage.”
IN THIS TEST, AM I TO TEST BETWEEN THE SMALL RED WIRE AND BLACK NEG ON BATTERY? Yes

“Check the voltage at the (small) black wire at the solenoid, you should have battery voltage at all times (if not, bad ground wire). If you have ground (black wire)and 12 volts positive (red wire) when pedal pushed, your solenoid is bad.”
IN THIS TEST, AM I TO TEST BETWEEN THE 2 SMALL TERMINALS ON SOLENOID? Volt meter red lead on battery positive post.

“Test solenoid output (the 2 big posts), you should have battery voltage at the post that the positive battery cable attatches to, put your meter lead on the post that goes to the starter/generator, push the pedal. You should hear the solenoid click and battery voltage should be present. If not bad solenoid, if good the starter/generator should be checked.”
IN THIS TEST, WHERE DOES MY SECOND METER LEAD GO?
Red lead on solenoid post, black lead on battery negative post.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:10 PM   #7
Longjack
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for the delay in reporting back, but hereon the island we lost internet for 36 hours.
So here are my test results/questions.

“If tests good, the red wire goes to the solenoid (to "energize" it),reconect the red wire, now put your volt meter on the (small) red wire at the solenoid and push the accelerator pedal. You should have battery voltage.
YES, I HAVE 12+ VOLTS.

WHEN I CHECK VOLTAGE FROM SMALL BLACK SOLENOID WIRE FROM IT TO POSITIVE BATTERY (RED) POST, I DO HAVE 12+ VOLTs.

So then I continued with the black meter probe on the small black solenoid wire and the meter red probe on the battery red positive post, and when I pressed pedal, I got the same 12+ volts.

IF I DID THIS TEST AS DESCRIBED CORRECTLY, DOES THIS MEAN SOLENOID IS BAD?
I ASK BECAUSE I'M CONFUSED BY....."If you have ground (black wire)and 12 volts positive (red wire)"....????

In the third test....., I placed the meter red lead on solenoid large red post, with meter black lead on negative battery post, and then pressed pedal and heard click and got 12+ volts, so assume that test went OK.

One other question here...
As I previously mentioned, when I shorted the 2 small solenoid screws, the cart started.
If in fact from the above tests, my solenoid is bad....and sorry if this is a stupid question, Can I run a jumper between the 2 small terminal screws to run the cart temporarily until I get a new solenoid?
I ask because something about this question, doesn't seem right....like why isn't that jumper always there....or is it because perhaps the wire inside the solenoid may have busted, and such a jumper may be a temp fix???

Thanks again for any help/advice.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #8
Longjack
Not Yet Wild

Am getting SO frustrated and perplexed.

After just posting 30 minutes ago, when the cart would not start without shorting the 2 solenoid terminal screws, its seems to now be starting OK on its own, but in the past, this has always been temporary.

If it is the solenoid, is it normal for it to work so intermittently, i.e. work, then not work, then work again?
Old 03-28-2018, 07:40 AM   #9
1arunem
Gone Wild

I have certainly seen solenoids work intermittently. Could be the problem..
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:59 AM   #10
Longjack
Not Yet Wild

OK....
Back into trying to fix this and here is latest situation as solenoid seems to check out OK.
Let cart sit for 3 weeks, then in the past couple days, it has run fine, but last night, after a short drive, would not start again.
However this time, as always in the past, I get the solenoid to click, but when shorting the 2 small screws with screwdriver, nothing happens. A few weeks ago when I shorted like this, it would start.
So now I get the click, but no start and shorting doesn’t do anything.
As I think mi may have stated, this all started after replacing starter brushes and sometimes when it would not start, I go hand roll belt a revolution and it might start, but now that doesn’t do anything.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha