lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
jhaase
Not Yet Wild

Default H D charging problems

I have a H D, 36 volt cart, I can only get 18 volts to the charging plug. I am guessing I have a connection problem someplace in the relays. Is there a common problem area?

Thank You
jhaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: H D charging problems

Here is a link to the service manual to your cart.:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/colum...63_1978_EL.pdf

I have several vintage electric carts but no HDs specifically. The charging circuits on old carts are normally simple.

When you say "charging plug" what are you referring to? The plug coming from the charger or something on the cart?
Lochlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
jhaase
Not Yet Wild

The large plug under the dash that you plug the charger into.
jhaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:15 PM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I see what you have. Look at page 5-26 in that service manual. Your battery bank is split into 2 separate banks 18v each with diodes between the banks and the charger receptacle. You may know this but diodes allow current to flow one way through them but not the opposite way.

That setup actually looks kinda cool and somewhat ingenious in a rudimentary way.
The diode setup will allow 36v to be delivered to the motor when needed but both banks of batteries will be able to be charged with an 18v charger and the 36v is prevented from going back to and harming the charger. If I were a betting man, I would guess that your charger is putting out 21 - 22 volts when it is charging.

Looks like your cart is at it should be.
Lochlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts