lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2019, 09:01 PM   #1
bbdoc
Not Yet Wild

Default Barn find "quick start" advice

I recently bought a non-running 1986 G2. Apparently, the previous owner got it as part of a home purchase a couple years ago. It supposedly ran well for a year, but then "stopped going". He tried to work on the carb/airbox, and eventually it stopped running all together. I like projects and figured I would dig into it.

2 of the 3 clutch weights had exploded, which probably accounts for it "stopping going". I rebuilt the clutch, and tried to crank it but nothing happened.

My large assumption (hope) is that the previous owner, not realizing the clutch was blown, just messed with everything else until it wasn't running; theoretically some minor tuning should get it running again at some level.

It needs new tires, a thorough cleaning, cosmetic work, etc, but I'm trying to avoid putting any more money into it until I have proof it will run.

Here's what I have done so far:
-drained gas tank, removed disintegrating cap filter (will replace with inline at some point)
-drained and replaced oil (1qt)- it was overfilled by about 1/2 quart
-rebuilt clutch
-charged battery (essentially new)
-reset valves to 0.004 (they were at 0.009, not sure how much difference this would make)
-removed engine cover - at some point in history the valve cover was removed and RTV'd back to the plastic engine cover rather than sealed to the head.... There is oil and dirt coating everything, so I'm working on cleaning the engine
and fins while I have it apart.

Since it theoretically ran at some point before the clutch blew and someone went on a misadventure, I hope to reassemble things just to see if I can get it started.

The reverse alarm will sound. With the plug removed, the starter cranks well. But it struggles to crank when plug is in (this was before I removed valve cover). The starter brushes look good, the commutator looks a little worn.

Before I throw it back together and try to crank it with new gas, is there anything else I should look into while its open?
Long first intro post, I apologize, I'll keep the other posts shorter!
bbdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2019, 12:31 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Barn find "quick start" advice

I would:

1) Forget everything the previous owner told you it "used to do."

2) Find out why it won't turn over while under compression.

3) Once you get it to turn over check for spark.

4) Hit it with a shot of starting fluid and see if it fires.

5) Go from there.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:42 AM   #3
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Mooncarter knows of what he speaks - forget what is said, and deal with what’s in front of you!
I just need to remember it more often . .
Welcome !
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:33 AM   #4
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The best thing to do is put a compression gauge on it.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
I would:

1) Forget everything the previous owner told you it "used to do."

2) Find out why it won't turn over while under compression.

3) Once you get it to turn over check for spark.

4) Hit it with a shot of starting fluid and see if it fires.

5) Go from there.

Do what he said. Start from scratch with a fresh look. If the previous owner was on the right path it would be running right now and not abandoned.....
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:10 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Remove and thoroughly clean the carb with carb spray. Spray out all the jets backwards and forwards with the carb spray only. If it's gummed up, you can also soak it in hot soapy water with degreaser in it, then spray it out.

If you have:

1) fuel
2) air
3) compression
4) spark

It should fire.

Sounds like maybe the battery or cables aren't giving the starter/gen enough juice. Check all your cables and clean the connections really well. Did you have the battery load tested? Just because a battery looks new doesn't mean it is good. Have it tested at your local parts store for free.

Check the spark by taking out the spark plug, reinstall it in the plug wire, lay it on the exhaust pipe or something metal that's grounded. Crank it over. Even in daylight you should see a bright white/blue spark.

Pull the fuel line off the carb, crank it over, look for fuel squirting out. If not, a fuel pump might be in order, or the line could be plugged.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:21 AM   #7
bbdoc
Not Yet Wild

It has good spark. I will try to check the compression today. I think the battery terminals/connection were an issue getting juice to the starter so I replaced those for a couple bucks. I have the valve cover off, assuming that needs to be on to check compression?
Old 05-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #8
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbdoc View Post
It has good spark. I will try to check the compression today. I think the battery terminals/connection were an issue getting juice to the starter so I replaced those for a couple bucks. I have the valve cover off, assuming that needs to be on to check compression?
It doesnt have to be on to check compression however if your satisfied with your valve adjustment I see no reason to leave it off. remember to have the throttle wide open for the compression check.

After thinking on this...is this an over head cam engine with the rockers as part of the valve cover? If so then yes you need the valve cover on for a compression test. apologies If I gave bad advice.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:13 PM   #9
bbdoc
Not Yet Wild

Threw everything back together, compression is about 150. Shot some starter fluid into carb and she fired right away. Added air box back on and it ran! Only went to the end of the driveway and back, didn’t want to push my luck in the dark.
I did notice the exhaust seemed excessively hot for the short amount I ran it. Is there a way I can check if it is plugged?
I’m going to take it back apart and clean the engine since it is very dirty and fins are still grimy. I’ve got proof of life, so now it’s really time to get busy!
Old 05-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #10
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

[quote=bbdoc;1618533]threw everything back together, compression is about 150. Shot some starter fluid into carb and she fired right away. Added air box back on and it ran! Only went to the end of the driveway and back, didn’t want to push my luck in the dark.
I did notice the exhaust seemed excessively hot for the short amount i ran it. Is there a way i can check if it is plugged?
I’m going to take it back apart and clean the engine since it is very dirty and fins are still grimy. I’ve got proof of life, so now it’s really time to get

Off to a good start!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha