lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2019, 10:05 PM   #1
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

Default G16 Engine

New to Golf Carts. Recently Got a Yamaha G16 cart. I completely stripped it down to bare frame. Jakes 7 inch double A Arm lift kit due in any time. I am going to put in a new engine-Big Block. Can someone please help be decide what direction to go in. Vegas 625cc motor and kit or should i go V twin. Think I am going to stay in a 600 series engine, perhaps Vanguard, Predator or Kohlor. Any suggestions. I like the Predator because I like the price of it but is it as reliable with similar torque and speed? Also Vegas Carts guy said Predator wouldn't fit in a Yamaha because it is to wide? Does anyone have any experience with a v-twin vs Vegas 625 single piston motor? I would probably want torque over speed but who am I kidding - I want it all-Both!!
Bubsbuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2019, 03:28 AM   #2
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: G16 Engine

If you look through the threads in the big block section of this forum you will find many examples of members who have done all of the things you are asking about.

I personally installed a VC625 but others have used a v-twin. Check out the other threads for their impressions and results.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:54 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Your choice depends upon your budget and your skill level. The bolt in kits from Vegas Carts are nice and will give you big torque and power without serious modifications. If you go Vanguard call Cart Parts Plus, they have bolt in kits for those as well. Both engines will give you more power and torque, and with 22" tires your top speed will be in the 30-35 mph range.

Keep in mind that more speed in a cart is dangerous, especially with worn out parts. My recommendation is to make sure you have good working brakes and steering, and especially shocks. Worn shocks in a Yami will cause all kinds of problems with the steering since the front suspension is a single a arm type, could even be dangerous at high speeds.

If you go Predator, you'll have to fabricate your engine mount etc yourself. If you have the skills it's not a big deal, you can find lots of threads here to help you.

1. Budget
2. Skill Level
3. Needs

Define those and we can steer you better.

Slo
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:13 AM   #4
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

As was mentioned, budget and what you want. Personally (IMO), I like the Briggs and Stratton Vanguards. I've installed 18HP and 23HP engines all from Cart Parts Plus, smooth and dependable w/great a warranty. These guys are original Big Block Shop, they know what they are doing. For questions or custom setups, talk to Bruce. If not, definitely talk to VC.

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/

https://vegascarts.com/

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:20 AM   #5
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

1. Budget
2. Skill Level
3. Needs

1. Obviously I want to save as much as I can. I am more concerned with getting the best bang for my buck. I don't necessarily have a budget but would like to stay under 5K. I like to do things right. For instance I read some where that I should reinforce the rear transaxle mounting plates if I intend to have a back seat. I took off the engine cradle and took it to a local trailer welding shop to have 1/4 inch plates welded to both sides and top to reinforce these mounting plates. I also had him reinforce the engine mounting areas for added support. Cost $200 but I think in the end it will be money well spent. New rear shocks are also on the way, currently in the mail.

2. I THINK I can do everything except welding. I can put together plans and have someone perform the welding. I am sure that I could probably weld but have always been to scare to mess with the different gasses and worry about my eyes getting burned.

3. Needs, I don't know, its a new hobby for me and I do lean towards the extream of things. I am building a hunting or utility type of cart even if I never go hunting. So hunting, light off-road. Want it to haul 4 people and hills if needed. Also want it to be quiet. I would rather have more power than I really need and restrict it with a muffler some as opposed to it being really loud. I was told that a Walker 18192 muffler will make it really quiet without restriction power???
Bubsbuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:30 AM   #6
1arunem
Gone Wild

I built a G16 with the vegas carts 625cc 23hp motor.. It was a beast. Wheelie's on command and 39mph with two adult men. Cart had a 6" lift and 22" tires.

More power than you ever need in a golf cart...
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:59 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Predator will require significantly more fabrication than the CPP Vanguard or the VC kit. And in the long run, I don't think it would really save you much (if any) money. And it's an off-the-shelf chinese motor. I would go with the VC or the CPP.

Vegas Carts, complete kit is around $1600. 90 day warranty, gobs of power, easy install. I don't know who makes the parts for VC but it's a clone engine. I'm sure they have influence on the design/components/build quality. Does not require a lift kit. They do advertise on their site that future engine replacements are easy if you replace the engines every few years. I'm sure it's a very strong, good reliable motor because Vegas Carts has a great reputation, but I've never owned one so can't say what kind of longevity it has to offer, perhaps some of the others here can chime in that own them.

CPP complete kit is about $1000 more, $2600. 3 year warranty, gobs of power, easy install. This is a briggs vanguard motor, with a reputation for lasting pretty much forever. (There's a reason Briggs Vanguards are used in so many commercial applications...) It does require at least a 4" lift kit, which will add cost if a lift kit and tires was not in your original plans.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:06 AM   #8
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

If I remember right, the G16 is the only cart that an 18 hp vanguard will fit in without a lift. I could be mistaken, I would check with Bruce.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha