lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2019, 11:23 PM   #1
Rob_C
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Default 2009 YDRE-Tries to move but controller drops out

I went to look at a 2009 YDRE today, communicating with the owner is extremely difficult as he has had a stroke which has affected his speech but also his thought process a little so conversation is very disjointed.

The initial complaint was that it wouldn't finish one hole but later he managed to get across that is stops as soon as you hit the throttle. I suspected dead batteries or a loose/corroded connection but found none of these.

The charger was connected and showing 100%, battery voltage was an even 50.0V. Disconnecting and reconnecting the charger, it showed 25% for a short time then went straight to 80% and the voltage had jumped to 53 .4V and climbing as you would expect.

I checked all connections (including controller and solenoid) with an ohm meter and they are all good. The batteries were recently replaced with Trojans, assumedly thinking the old ones were the issue.

After resetting the controller you can hear the solenoid click once, then a second time, the reverse buzzer works. As you touch the throttle, the solenoid clicks again but once load is applied the controller dies and needs resetting. If you do this in reverse you can creep the cart along very slowly but immediately the cart begins to move in forward, the controller drops out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I've got all the prior manuals and have ordered the G29/YDRA/E but not received it yet.

lastly, are the testing resistances and voltages the same as for a G22E?

Cheers,
Rob
Rob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2019, 03:01 AM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 2009 YDRE-Tries to move but controller drops out

Sounds like shot batteries. Did you measure the voltage as you depress the pedal?

(I known that was the problem with one I had that was doing the same thing)
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:58 AM   #3
Rob_C
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2009 YDRE-Tries to move but controller drops out

Thanks Luke,

Batteries are 3 month old Trojans and fine. Yes I tested under what little load you could and there's almost no voltage drop. It falls over right as the cart tries to move so there's really no measurable load on the battery pack.

Same symptoms as low battery voltage or poor connection thus low voltage to the controller I agree but the connections and batteries are good.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 07-24-2019, 04:12 AM   #4
Rob_C
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

No other ideas?

Still waiting on the manual to arrive.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 08-22-2019, 11:29 PM   #5
Rob_C
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Still messing with this one, after two junk throttle position sensors from China I finally convinced the owner to pony up for a genuine one.

Rang Yamaha Australia, 3 week + wait from Japan, Partzilla was cheaper even after shipping and will be here next week.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:07 AM   #6
Cperk
Not Yet Wild

Did you ever figure out the problem? I have the same model doing the same thing. At first the brushes were stuck and not making contact. Pulled and cleaned those. Now it’s doing the same thing as you describe. Sometimes I can get it to go in reverse and just keep backing around the yard. Then I can go forward after I do this. Then I park it and it will start doing the same thing. Controller dies then solenoid drops out. I have to toggle the tow/run switch or unplug the controller harness to reset. I don’t have a clue how old the batteries are, but one reads 11.5 volts after it does this. The others are 12.3-12.4-12.5.
I unhooked all the batteries last night and will check the voltages this evening.
Cperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:00 PM   #7
Cperk
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cperk View Post
Did you ever figure out the problem? I have the same model doing the same thing. At first the brushes were stuck and not making contact. Pulled and cleaned those. Now it’s doing the same thing as you describe. Sometimes I can get it to go in reverse and just keep backing around the yard. Then I can go forward after I do this. Then I park it and it will start doing the same thing. Controller dies then solenoid drops out. I have to toggle the tow/run switch or unplug the controller harness to reset. I don’t have a clue how old the batteries are, but one reads 11.5 volts after it does this. The others are 12.3-12.4-12.5.
I unhooked all the batteries last night and will check the voltages this evening.
It was the batteries! First pic was at rest. Second was going up an incline. Soon as it hit 16 volts the controller would drop out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F319B8B8-94DF-4FB1-B00F-28DD65514ED4.jpg (5.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg F826A021-FF8F-43DD-9142-E2CECD2B8CA8.jpg (3.2 KB, 0 views)
Cperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha