lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2019, 04:51 PM   #1
marcgbgc
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Carnage!!!

Anyone ever seen this happen before? I had my friend's kids driving my cart around while I was out of town and when I got back they told me it wouldn't run anymore. After checking compression (0), checking spark and all the normal troubleshooting I pulled the valve cover and noticed the lifters weren't moving. After breaking my flywheel , I finally cracked the motor open to find this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-5913.jpg (152.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-5912.jpg (135.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-5911.jpg (132.0 KB, 0 views)
marcgbgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Carnage!!!

It's not real common, but I have heard of that before. I dont think anyone really knows the true cause either. Thatr cam looks like it's a G22 (with compression release). if I'm correct about model, here's your part numbers.

JN6-11400-00-00 crankshaft
JR7-12180-10-00 camshaft
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:06 PM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Will G16 parts work? I've got them...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-...ine-parts.html
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The crank looks like a G16 part. I dont know if the cam specs are the same for G22 vs G16, but I know the G16 cam does not include the compression release feature (that's how I deduced that it should be a G22). The rivet on the back of the G22 cam should support a flyweight on the front of the cam. I believe the parts would work just fine, not sure if performance would be better, worse, or same. Who would know instantly is don plowman.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:54 PM   #5
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgbgc View Post
Anyone ever seen this happen before? I had my friend's kids driving my cart around while I was out of town and when I got back they told me it wouldn't run anymore. After checking compression (0), checking spark and all the normal troubleshooting I pulled the valve cover and noticed the lifters weren't moving. After breaking my flywheel , I finally cracked the motor open to find this:
Sorry about your cart bro! But I do like to look at carnage such as this
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:58 PM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I thought Don Plowman had wrote up the reason for this kind of failure. Found it and did a bump
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:04 PM   #7
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
I thought Don Plowman had wrote up the reason for this kind of failure. Found it and did a bump
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowman View Post
the reason your cam teeth are missing is simple your motor is worn out! the teeth on the cam crank and balancer wear as all the parts in your motor and get excessive lash..clearance.. as well as the bosses in the block, they are cast iron teeth and start beating one another when clearance become to large and they break! and when one breaks so do the rest ,very common on older motors, and especially if one trys to reman there motor and using all the old parts ( witch is not remaning ) 90% of the time the bore is cut with the wrong grit hone( witch eats the rings ) and puts more stress on the bottom end and makes the teeth fail even faster,usually within a year or less. 40% of the core motors i took in this year were from a engine builder in Georgia, 700 bucks gets you a motor, when torn down they have all used internals, china piston and cast rings and piss poor china gaskets,and 25% of them have the cam teeth laying in the bottom! dont think i have had one customer that has got two years out of one of these ( do your home work ) class A "REMANS", I have been telling yamaha for years that they need to sell the crank cam and balancer together, well they listened a little now it comes as the crank and cam together. the 285 and 300 have helical cut gears so this problem don't exist ,hope i have made good sense for all.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #8
marcgbgc
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
The crank looks like a G16 part. I dont know if the cam specs are the same for G22 vs G16, but I know the G16 cam does not include the compression release feature (that's how I deduced that it should be a G22). The rivet on the back of the G22 cam should support a flyweight on the front of the cam. I believe the parts would work just fine, not sure if performance would be better, worse, or same. Who would know instantly is don plowman.
It is an 01 G22, I picked it up pretty cheap and since I've owned it I've done a Plowman's jet kit, airbox mod with filter and deleted the governor. I knew this motor's time was getting close to an end. So now do I rebuild or go big block???
Old 12-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #9
marcgbgc
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
I totally understand, I built engines for a living for a while and I definitely know the importance of quality parts over price. You can get it done, or you can get it done right.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #10
marcgbgc
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Will G16 parts work? I've got them...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-...ine-parts.html
The dish on that piston looks totally different than mine, I would have to take some measurements to see if that works. I'm debating on just going Predator or really rebuilding this one.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha