lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2022, 01:19 PM   #1
BurlyWizard
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Did I wire in my lithium 36V Wrong?

Hi all, I'm seeing some funny performance from our 36V EZGO TXT. I've already started a claim with our lithium battery manufacturer (EcoBattery), but after some troubleshooting today, I thought I may be on to something.

Here's what we're experiencing as far as symptoms: We are seeing very inconsistent behavior from the battery. Sometimes, it slows to a very slow performance around 55%. Other times, it drives normal all the way down to 25%. Most of the time it starts slowing down in the 50s though. I checked the voltmeter several times over the last cycle and the dashboard voltmeter and my multimeter were VERY close in readings every time. The newest and hardest symptom to tolerate is that in low-acceleration moments (accelerating slowly after coming to a stop), the cart is extremely jolty. It sputters and jumps similar to when it is on low battery. Occasionally, after coming to a complete stop, it will act completely dead for a few moments, even at 90%+. When this happens, we just turn it off and turn it back on and wait a few seconds and it generally jolts back into action after that. I am assuming this is a problem with the BMS, and the battery thinks it's more dead than it is, but I went on to troubleshoot on my own...

I thought I remembered when first receiving this cart that all was performing as necessary, and these symptoms may have begun when I added in some luxury 12V accessories during my COVID garage quarantine. Because of that, I took off the entire 12V circuit today and the cart was noticeably faster. I haven't had time to run it to dead yet, but I thought it was interesting to see a drastic speed difference from removing it.

I've attached EcoBattery's installation picture with the addition of my wiring in the 12V circuit. Ignore the ACC key (I didn't go that route) and the fact that their image shows a 48V battery, mine is 36V. Mine is wired exactly as shown, including the cable sizes. I've also attached a photo of my cart and the wiring.

Finally, the only additional strange symptom I've seen is that when disassembling the battery today, I saw an arc between the terminal and the negative side of the battery. Out of curiosity I tested it again and saw a small spark and heard a crackle when re-engaging the terminal. It only happened when making initial contact and stopped when the terminal remained touching the connectors. In addition, the main 1/4" loop from the controller looked like it had somewhat melted a small amount previously, and whatever the goo was had a drop or 2 attaching it to another one of the cable terminals (also attached a photo of this). I'm not sure if that's normal wear and tear or if that cable is getting too hot somehow?

Anyways, with all of the above I thought maybe I had ruled something in or out, but my knowledge stops there.

Thank you all so much in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golf Cart Wiring.JPG (130.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4489.jpg (146.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4495.jpg (115.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4494.jpg (104.1 KB, 0 views)
BurlyWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2022, 04:34 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Did I wire in my lithium 36V Wrong?

The spark indicates you are drawing current constantly, could be a draw like a voltage reducer on or a short. Is that solder coming from the negative cable connection?
Also test your throttle output to insure the jumpy performance is not what the cart is asking for.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 02:53 PM   #3
BurlyWizard
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The spark indicates you are drawing current constantly, could be a draw like a voltage reducer on or a short. Is that solder coming from the negative cable connection?
Also test your throttle output to insure the jumpy performance is not what the cart is asking for.
That's a good point, and if it could be from the voltage reducer, that's likely it. The spark doesn't seem to occur when the 12V circuit (and voltage reducer) is removed from the battery.

That is the negative cable connection, yes, but it's not solder. It seemed more like a gummy adhesive.

Any tips on how to to test the throttle output? And what a jumpy performance would look like vs normal performance in that test?

Thanks for the response.
BurlyWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:21 PM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That converter will have internal capacitors and will have a small parasitic draw even if nothing is being used. When you disconnect it the capacitors will start to slowly discharge but when you reconnect it they will try to charge instantly resulting in a spark.

As for the glue there are some heat shrink options you can buy that have adhesive inside the heat shrink. This may be that? I'd make sure you have good connection to the battery and that the first wire on the terminal (and therefore the one making the best connection) is your large cable that goes to your solenoid and controller. Then stack on top of that the other wires for the converter and whatnot. Then, when you use the cart, check that location for heat. It shouldn't get more than 10 degrees above amgient temp. If it does get hotter then you have a bad connection or bad cable.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:01 PM   #5
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I know this is an old post but just incase you haven't figured it out here is the problem I see. The enable wire from the 36v to 12 v converter is going to the wrong terminal on the solenoid. With it wired as is every time you let off the throttle it's going to cut power to your accessories no telling what kind of problems that will cause. Move the wire to the other large connection.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO