lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2022, 08:45 PM   #1
Constantmotion
Not Yet Wild

Default 99 Carryall Engine Rebuild Question

I have a 99 Carryall with a fe290. I picked up a major internal knock but the cart would crank and run fine. I pulled the engine and tore into it. It looks like one of the bolts for the oil sensor came out and tore stuff up. The crank balance weight shaft sheered off causing it to flip about. I’m going to replace the shaft, balance weight, and the Cam. The piston rod is scuffed up some and might end up replacing it. I need to change the rings while I’m in here. How do I know if I need standard, .25, or .50 over. The piston seems tight in the cylinder during the full stroke. The cart does burn oil and smoke a little but I think it’s a gasket issue because oil is all down the front of engine. I’ve only owned the cart about 3 months.
Constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2022, 11:55 PM   #2
Aggiesdm
Getting Wild

Default Re: 99 Carryall Engine Rebuild Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantmotion View Post
I have a 99 Carryall with a fe290. I picked up a major internal knock but the cart would crank and run fine. I pulled the engine and tore into it. It looks like one of the bolts for the oil sensor came out and tore stuff up. The crank balance weight shaft sheered off causing it to flip about. I’m going to replace the shaft, balance weight, and the Cam. The piston rod is scuffed up some and might end up replacing it. I need to change the rings while I’m in here. How do I know if I need standard, .25, or .50 over. The piston seems tight in the cylinder during the full stroke. The cart does burn oil and smoke a little but I think it’s a gasket issue because oil is all down the front of engine. I’ve only owned the cart about 3 months.
I'm kind of curious here too. I think if your cylinder bore is in good shape and its within the FE290 tolerances of diameter (78.06mm/3.0735") you can use standard rings. If its bigger then there is probably a formula to figure ring size...but I don't know it.

There are FE290 spec sheets on line that will tell you what your proper specs and ring gaps should be. You can also probably call your CC dealer and get specs and part sheets printed out. They did it for me recently. Good luck
Aggiesdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:16 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Hard to see much in the pics. The usual failure on these is the link rod bearings fail and cause the counter wight to rock back and forth and bind on the guide post, which will eventually either break the guide post and/or the rods.
I do see it looks like something went through the cam gear, and took a chunk out of the drive gear on the crankshaft. The crank would have to be disassembled to replace the drive gear, and checked for damage to the rod bearing journals.

As long as the block didn't crack out around the post you may be able to re-use the block. A new guide post would be in order. The balance weight needs to be inspected for wear and the link rods need to be checked to make sure they are not bent and the ends are not out of round.

A new connecting rod would be a must, I'd recommend a new piston, and as long as the cylinder isn't scarred or have any major damage I would run a stone hone in that and just go back together with standard rings. If it needs to be oversized you can order a .25 or .50 (mm) over piston and rings from Kawasaki.

Pat's Small Engine sells rebuild kits for these motors that have every gasket needed, along with piston and rings. They also sell the rod kits, and all the other internal parts. You might need to give them a call and see if they can order the camshaft you need. The Club Car variant of the FE290, if that is a 99 motor, would spin Clockwise, but almost every other version of the FE290 used by every other brand spins Counter-clockwise. So you need to be careful of what camshaft you order so you don't get the wrong one.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:25 AM   #4
Constantmotion
Not Yet Wild

I pulled the piston and the crank out yesterday. The piston and rings look perfect. No damage on the cylinder wall. The only thing was scuffs on the rod cap and one of the rod bolts mushroomed some and made if difficult to remove. The counter weight and the weight shaft will need be replaced. Both guide rods have side to side slop. With that, it seems that all internals needs to be replaced.
Constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car