lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2022, 02:30 PM   #1
john fox
Not Yet Wild

Default why not 3-12's for 36 volt lithium?

I need to start thinking about changing out my 6yr. old battery pack in my 1998 txt.
thinking about going lithium.
I thought 3-12v batteries would be more versatile than 1-36v battery but read in another thread it's better to go 1-36v WHY?
would there be a problem with three bms as apposed to only one?
the reason I was thinking 3-12 would be better was if in the future if I had to replace my old cart with a newer one {48 v } my three 12v lithium batteries could move easily to a solar system where one 36v battery maybe not.
thoughts?
john fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2022, 03:41 PM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: why not 3-12's for 36 volt lithium?

I'm no lithium expert but, i know 12v (lithium) in series is NOT recommended
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:51 PM   #3
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Lithium batteries are protected by a Battery Management System, or BMS. With 3 12v batteries you’ll have 3 BMS’s doing their own thing and not knowing about the other two. With a 36v battery, there’s only one BMS protecting the whole pack.

I’ve written about this extensively in the past but simply, when charging, if one battery becomes fully charged the BMS will disconnect, protecting it from overcharging, but when this happens, the other two batteries will also stop charging. Over time you’ll end up with three batteries that are vastly out of balance and your 100Ah pack, for example, may be reduced to only a 50Ah or 70Ah pack.

Secondly, most general purpose 12v lithium batteries cannot produce the required current to power a cart, especially if it’s modified in any way.

Specific to you John, adding a fourth battery at a later stage will only exasperate the imbalance problem described above as the fourth battery will be at least one of the following, different batch, different capacity, different age, different internally even though it’s the same battery externally etc.

Go for a single 36v battery and you’ll never look back, or go for 48v and do the upgrade now.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:37 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Explained very well Pat. A similar problem happens when the conventional batteries are out of balance. The result is a shortened useful life for all of the batteries.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:37 PM   #5
john fox
Not Yet Wild

thanks guys, 36v it is!
john fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 11:17 PM   #6
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
A similar problem happens when the conventional batteries are out of balance. The result is a shortened useful life for all of the batteries.
Correct, but the difference between conventional lead acid and lithium though is that with LA, when one battery becomes fully charged the charger keeps going and overcharged it whilst the other two or three batteries catch up. They are essentially top balanced at every full charge as they can tolerate limited overcharging without too many problems.

Lithium, on the other hand absolutely cannot be overcharged and when the BMS of the most charged battery decides it's time to intervene and stop charging, so do the other two or three, as they are connected in series, even if they are no where near full.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO