lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
bar197
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Exhaust leak

Hey guys, I got a couple questions about my '93 DS. I recently installed the CPP performance exhaust on my cart and I have a small leak where the flange bolts to the block. I have taken apart and thoroughly cleaned all surfaces, new gasket, and still cannot seem to seal the leak. I also notice a hesitation/stumble when I first give the cart gas. I dont know if this could be due to the exhaust leak, or if I have another issue elswhere. Anyone ever had this issue as far as the leak is concerned and if so what was the fix?
bar197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Exhaust leak

have you tried to double up on the gasket........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
bar197
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes I tried that also but no go.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

Does it leak worse when it is cold? Did you tighten the flange on the block before you tightened everything else? You might try that. Did the old one leak before replacing? Are you running out of thread on the stud? Should not be that if you already tried adding another gasket.

Make sure you got *ALL* the old gasket off the head, a uneven mating surface will give you problems almost every time.

Spray the flange with a light coat of paint, let dry, take some fine sand paper wrapped tightly on a flat block, draw the paper over the flange and make sure that it is flat. Low spots should show up clearly because the paint will not come off from the sand paper, the high spots will have the paint sanded off.

You might also let it get hot, cool down, re-torque nuts, repeat a couple times. Make sure you let it cool, it will be loosest when cold.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
bar197
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I will try that. If that doesn't work I guess the only thing left is to remove the header and machine the flange to make sure its true. The factory exhaust didn't leak so I'm pretty sure the block is good to go.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #6
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

any chance you have a bad weld between the flange and the pipe? or, could the pipe stick through the flange and prevent a proper seal? just a couple other things to check...

like I said, make sure you don't have any part of the old gasket stuck to the head.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Before you do any mods on the flange, I'd suggest calling Tom @ CPP to get his opinion!

I also have the Performance exhaust kit, and never had any problems (leaking or hesitating)
although, it came with a FE290 gasket, and I have an FE350...
my cart was still fairly new and I was able to reuse my existing FE350 gasket.

As for the hesitation, double check that the airbox is properly closed and latched,
CC's are really "finicky" when it comes to the air/fuel mixture!

lockman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
bar197
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Lockman,
Which carb jet did you go with for your setup? I have tried both that came with the kit, and both seem to perform questionably. I have the performance exhaust, K&N, and the carb jet, but I'm still getting HORRIBLE results. Dont get me wrong here, I'm not blaming the parts, but rather my ignorance I have heard of guys drilling some holes in their airbox but I dont know much about it. Where, and what size holes do you use? I have been very dissapointed in my performance upgrades, but some of this may be due to the exhaust leak, and some may just be getting the air/fuel ratio right.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

In all honesty bar... I have no clue!
If I remember correctly it was 3 sizes larger then stock, and I only received 1 jet (FE350)
I put it in three years ago, and my cart has been running like a champ since!

Trust me... If you called Tom @ CPP, He WILL help you to resolve your situation(s)

It's a great upfit, from a great supplier, with great customer service!

and if... by chance... BigBlockMan responds to this... you may want to listen to him!

Oh yeah... DO NOT modify your airbox!!!! (been there, done that... I had to buy a new airbox! )

lockman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

I think the leak is the reason for the jet being off. Take a good look at the flange, They are faced after weld so it should be flat. I don't think even UPS could have bent the flange. Although sometimes I swear they try. The mixture adjustment could also be opened up 1/4 -1/2 turn to help with the lag, once the reason for the leak is determined. Adding holes to the airbox would require a even larger jet and from your description you are already getting to much air. Double check to make sure airbox is sealed and hose is not split or leaking. On the jets one is marked small one is marked large. Most carts use the small but some require the larger. The leak will make it run leaner due to less back pressure.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car