lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
bramr1
Not Yet Wild

Default g16 clutch(es) loud? and/or worn??

Hi, I am new to this forum and thank you in advance to your responses

I have a question about the clutches on a G16 or I suppose any gas yamaha...

I used to own a G5 and before too much abuse, I started to lose power, the motor sounded really loud, and it seemed to be a little slower on top end... I had the seat open and was watching the primary and driven clutches doing their business, .. and the secondary seemed to open slowly (or jumpy if that makes sense) seems the older style shoes or clutch ramps (those plastic bumpers that the inside sheave sat on) were broken completely not worn down but just missing...

I replaced the (secondary driven) stationary sheave, the sliding sheave, the spring, belt, and shoes (bumpers) and then it solved all of the problems I was having...

Last week I bought a 1997 G16A and the primary clutch has aggressive sloping type wear from the bottom to the top [from the movement of the drivebelt] so when I accelerate it suddenly seems to jump up to speed due to the way the clutch wore down..

But it isn't in anyway a smooth acceleration, nor a smooth idling motor in neutral.. so I have been thinking about buying the High performance after-market primary clutch, and/or the power kit for the rear secondary [so I can get a machined sheave and a new spring, and drive belt]... I just dont have tons of money to play figure out the problem with...

... so I was wondering if anybody knew how to tell if a clutch front or rear is the culprit giving problems,.. or how to tell if either clutch is usable or good?

-on a side not does anybody know where the blue wire plugs in that comes bundled with the starter generator wires..? its about a 12-14 awg wire and I think it goes to the oil level sensor,.. but I don't even know where that is located. and the diagram from yamaha isn't a bunch of help....?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by bramr1; 03-18-2008 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: spelling
bramr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2008, 12:25 AM   #2
bramr1
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: g16 clutch(es) loud? and/or worn??

I uploaded some high res photos at my photobucket account...

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/bramr1/G16/

or

if this works.......

Below the blue wire, and the port hole....

and I have several close ups of the primary clutch

Here is a photo of the driven clutch

and finally the port hole i'm curious about

Last edited by bramr1; 03-17-2008 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: pictures added
Old 03-17-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm curious to hear what the experts have to say, myself?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

First. the blue wire is to the oil level "float/sensor" it is located at the back of the engine (straight down from where your holding the wire, under the stater generator) early sensors had the wire run into the block. Later ones had a bullit connection outside of the engine. Second...Looks like your primary clutch has been "WAY" over greased ! Take the 3 -10mm head bolts out (they hold the clutch cap on) and inspect the 3 "rollers". I'll bet the have "flat" spots on them and that can allow the "weights to "stick" in the "closed" posittion. This clutch is a "dry" clutch in the weight/roller/spider area. You only want grease on the bushings of the floating flange. Good luck Dave

Last edited by smallblock450sl; 03-17-2008 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: bad spelling
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
Yamaha4life
The Overposter!

Yamaha

Wow whoever greased those clutches went just a little bit overboard!!!
Yamaha4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
bramr1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Take the 3 -10mm head bolts out (they hold the clutch cap on) and inspect the 3 "rollers". I'll bet the have "flat" spots on them and that can allow the "weights to "stick" in the "closed" posittion. This clutch is a "dry" clutch in the weight/roller/spider area. You only want grease on the bushings of the floating flange. Good luck Dave

Thanks for all the good info!!

I took the dust cover off, .. turns out they do have flat spots.. should I replace just the rollers,.. or the entire clutch and/or both clutches?

and.. I was curious how to adjust the valves to keep them from ticking? (sounds like they are tapping verrrry lightly --or maybe i'm just a hypochondriac for trying to fix things. )
Old 03-18-2008, 10:48 PM   #7
bramr1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha4life View Post
Wow whoever greased those clutches went just a little bit overboard!!!

and yepp there was tonnnns of grease on the machine... it was a campus cart before I picked it up at auction last friday!

i got what I thought was a good deal for it at auction.. but I suppose time will tell

At auction they didn't have a key in it and it had "dead" written on the front cowl,.. i had my old key and when no other bidders were hawking about,.. i wanted to make sure the piston was still in one piece

I ended up having to sand off the residue from the stickers.. and there still is some hazing on the front cowl.. i'd replace it but perhaps some 400 and up grit sand paper will do the trick.

Last edited by bramr1; 03-18-2008 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: pic added
Old 03-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #8
Yamaha4life
The Overposter!

Yamaha

I wouldnt reccomend 400 sand paper as it may take the protective finish off...

Another member on the board has said laquer thinner works great to clean it up great. I havent tried it personally but I would go with that and see how it does...

Mikes motor toys it was laquer thinner right?
Yamaha4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:10 PM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramr1 View Post
Thanks for all the good info!!

I took the dust cover off, .. turns out they do have flat spots.. should I replace just the rollers,.. or the entire clutch and/or both clutches?

and.. I was curious how to adjust the valves to keep them from ticking? (sounds like they are tapping verrrry lightly --or maybe i'm just a hypochondriac for trying to fix things. )
Unfortunatly Yamaha does not sell the rollers seperate any longer. PLEASE DO NOT PUT A AFTERMARKET CLUTCH ON!!! There is a aftermarket company that sells "metal" rollers , but they don't sell to the public, you'd have to go thru a dealer. (I have used them and they seem fine. About 22.50 each) Yamaha sells a "spider/roller kit for about 117.00. Now the problem is you need a special "puller/tool to get the clutch assy off (it is a tapered crank and the fixed part of the pulley is "swedged" on) Then there is a special tool that grabs onto the "spider" and when you turn it counter clockwise, the spider/rollers/sliders come off the "fixed" sheave. (We always use a small propane tourch to "loosen" up the "loctite" on the threads.) You could use a "pipe wrench" for this procedure in a bind. You could take it to a dealer and they'd probably charge you a 1/2 hour labor. May be a thought. The "secondary clutch usually will give you a sign something is wrong if you can "hear a "Growling noise" or you fell a "vibration" in the seat of your pants when driving the car. Usually it is a worn out "bushing in the "floating flange". They can be replaced. Or the "circlip" that holds the "spring seat" away from the transmission case has come out of its groove. They have speacial "spacers" that will correct this. Now on valve adjustment. All Yamaha's a 4 thousanths (COLD) both intake and exhaust, piston at "top dead center" and check the adjustment several times after rotating the engine back to "tdc". I'm soory if this seemed so long winded. You asked alot of questions in two sentances. Good luck and keep us posted. Later Dave PS....If my spelling affends you....sorry!!!!!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Smallblock, that's a great response!
PS: you may have spell check right on your tool bar....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha