lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
ERV JR
Not Yet Wild

Default when to upgrage cables

I just replaced cables on both my carts, I had 20 feet of fine stranded 6ga so I used it for the battery cables, I have never had problems with cables getting hot so I dont think there is a problem with amp draw. I want to replace all the cables , from speed control to resistors and then to the motor. I was going to do all 6ga, but after reading here it seems most go to 4 ga.
If both carts have stock motors with t105's when is the 4 ga needed. One cart has 20' tall tires and will be getting 22's and then putting the 20's on the other. Will the added load of the taller tire require 4ga or is it just something most do since they are buying wire so they buy larger
ERV JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Default Re: when to upgrage cables

the 4ga wires will run cooler especially when larger tires are added.

4ga also increases torque. Bigger wire allows more amps to flow.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

when i first got my cart the first thing i changed was the cables to 4ga. i can testify that i could feel the diif in torque up my moderate hill. not faster on the level, but up the grade.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by COURTESYCART View Post
the 4ga wires will run cooler especially when larger tires are added.

4ga also increases torque. Bigger wire allows more amps to flow.
ezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoc1 View Post
when i first got my cart the first thing i changed was the cables to 4ga. i can testify that i could feel the diif in torque up my moderate hill. not faster on the level, but up the grade.
Agreed! If the cart is used for golf, then 6g cables are sufficient. Any other useage (lifted, 4-passenger, trail riding, etc.) will draw MORE current from the pack and this is where the 4g upgrade comes in.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

EZGO now uses 4 ga on all carts - That should tell you something...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
ERV JR
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Agreed! If the cart is used for golf, then 6g cables are sufficient. Any other useage (lifted, 4-passenger, trail riding, etc.) will draw MORE current from the pack and this is where the 4g upgrade comes in.
how many amps does a stock motor pull ? I dont mind replacing cables but trying to figure out what the draw is . Has anyone done a test with an amp clamp on the cart ?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:14 AM   #8
ERV JR
Not Yet Wild

Ok one question how about the wire/braided deal on the wiper isnt that 6ga ? if thats the case is there a replacment in 4ga ? If not then the process of replacing with 4ga dosent seem needed since you still have to pass current thru that 6ga cable.
Where is the best place to but 4ga cable and what kind of price per foot do you pay ? also terminals? I have 20ft laying around but need it for my race car
Old 12-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I have been using 4ga jumper cables. I cut the wire from that and made my own cables. I never found a way to up grade the wire on the wiper/speed control on my resistor cart. If that is what you have. Yours might be different.

joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERV JR View Post
Where is the best place to but 4ga cable and what kind of price per foot do you pay ? also terminals?
I buy 4ga welding cable from my local welding supply for $0.75 a foot.

You can also get cable and lugs from these guys: https://weldingsupply.securesites.co...:4:UNDEF::::PA

I have also bought 4ga cables on ebay for about $4 each example: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...Dp4634.c0.m322

They will make any length you want, this is the cable I buy: "THESE CABLES ARE TERMINATED WITH 5/16 TINNED COPPER LUGS ON 4 AWG ROYAL/EXCELENE WELDING CABLE WITH A HIGH FLEXABILITY AND IS RATED FOR 600V AND IS COVERED ON THE TERMINATED ENDS WITH HIGH HEAT SHRINK TUBE. THIS WELD CABLE HAS 392 STRANDS OF COPPER AND A EPDM JACKET THAT IS RESISTANCE TO FLAME,OIL,GREASE SOLVENTS,OZONE AND ABRASION AND HAS A 600V HIGH DIELECTRIC STRENGTH INTEGRITY AND IS UL AND ROHS COMPLIANCE."
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO