lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
bricks
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Another question about tires

I will admit I have no clue what all the numbers on tires mean. I know that the stock tire on a PDS cart is 18X8.5X8. Does this mean they are 18" tall by 8.5" wide? I am trying to increase the speed on my pds a little more than the speed chip increased it without spending the big bucks to do the controller upgrade or going to 48volt! I had been told in the past that oversize tires would increase the speed a little more.

My question is, can I put a 20X8X8 tire on the stock rim and put it on the cart without any type of spacer and it not rub on anything? My local cart guy was confusing me badly, and he told me that they would rub on the springs. If the 188.5 tires don't rub, and the 20X8 is the same width, could I not assume that they would not rub?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
bricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Another question about tires

Most of us who go with larger tires have used an offset rim to push them out a bit so the tire/wheel will clear the spring perches & steering components. You could also use wheel spacers to do the same thing. But with no lift, you may just push the tire out to rub on the fenders instead.

By going with a taller tire, the rubber is going to be closer to whatever is out that far, ie; springs, steering, etc.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Another question about tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricks View Post
I will admit I have no clue what all the numbers on tires mean. I know that the stock tire on a PDS cart is 18X8.5X8. Does this mean they are 18" tall by 8.5" wide? I am trying to increase the speed on my pds a little more than the speed chip increased it without spending the big bucks to do the controller upgrade or going to 48volt! I had been told in the past that oversize tires would increase the speed a little more.

My question is, can I put a 20X8X8 tire on the stock rim and put it on the cart without any type of spacer and it not rub on anything? My local cart guy was confusing me badly, and he told me that they would rub on the springs. If the 188.5 tires don't rub, and the 20X8 is the same width, could I not assume that they would not rub?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

On the size question yes. 18 tall, 8.5 wide on an 8 " rim. Some carts rub some don't with the bigger tire. If you look at a tire, it kinda bulges out. So even if its the same with, that bulge moves up a little. That is the part that normally rubs. again, spacers can resolve this issue. If you are buying from a deal. Ask to try it out. most times it rubs on the back wheels.

joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO