lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
athomas03
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2003 EZGO TXT rear wheel noise

Just bought a used cart that had been garaged for a while. It is a non dcs/pds txt. I noticed when I first drove it that it made a noise as if the brake lines where engaged and was slowing me down. Cables seem to be working fine after inspecting. I took time 2 wash it from inside the wheels to flush our any dirt out of there. Jacked it up and rotated wheels, they didn't spin easily. After oiling the wheels the passenger wheel seems to be doing fine, but the driver's side rear wheel sounds like it is scrubbing as it rotates and there is a roaring or metal on metal sound as it is driven. So, is it the drum or could it be the wheel bearings? Or maybe something totally different? Oh, and one other thing, I checked the rearend oil and nothing came out when I took the plug out. I filled the best I could but, that also did nothing.
athomas03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2003 EZGO TXT rear wheel noise

Too me it sounds like you may have lost a bearing at the end of the shaft, right behind the brake drum area. Is there any movement in the axle housing when you have it lifted off the ground?
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
athomas03
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't think there was any play in the axle housing, but I don't have the cart in front of me. It's at my shop at work. So, if it is the bearings is that a pretty easy fix. I've never gone beyond the wheel hub, so not sure what everything inside looks like. Do I just take out the pin and take the nut off? Then I'm not sure what I'll see, maybe I better go dig up a diagram!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

There will be a snap ring at the end of the axle, you will need to remove that first, after you remove brake assembly. Take a look in the stickies, you manual will show you how to get there. I recently just saw one, the bearing was nothing more then just a metal ring left. As far as your oil, drop the pan clean up, and add oil with gasket sealer, it is a little bit of a pain but can be done.
You can also just unbolt the bolts that go into the housing and just slide the hole axle housing off so you can work on it on the bench.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
TDAWG
Gone Wild

Remove the hubs and inspect the brake shoes. They could be metal to metal. At that point, you can check for axle play. If there is no movement in the axle, your noise if most likely a motor bearing.
TDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
athomas03
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys, I'll check it out in the morning. Hope it is something simple, this may turn into a bad buy! I was going to change out the motor anyway, guess I could put the other motor in and eliminate if its the motor bearing or not.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No oil in the rear end is potentially a more costly problem than all the others... I would be dropping the pan and listening to some bearings while she will still run on jacks..... Good luck. Then pull both axles and run her again... lastly pull the motor.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO