lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-21-2010, 02:26 AM   #1
Big Johnson
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Batteries

Just got my cart all squared away so it seems on being fully functional once again, thanks to Scotty.

My concern is the batteries. I believe them to be around one year old. I want to do everything possible to ensure I get some time out of them. They are US2200's.

I checked levels in all cells before charging individually and all were above the plates so I didn't add any. After charging all six, water level was within specs for all cells, just a little air gap between bottom of filler neck and water level.

After getting them all trickle charged up decent enough, I let the EZ go charger handle the rest that night. Just wondering what the standard charging procedures are. Do you let them charge all 12 hours after a day's use? Is a battery gauge a good thing to have to prevent exhausting the batteries? Anyone using an on board float charger or solar panel for touch-ups between uses and full charges?

Haven't yet got to run it a good deal of time since the rain hasn't let up around here for a few days, really hoping these batteries are salvageable. Cart seems to have a lot of torque and good pickup for an old, stock cart with all new 4 ga. wiring. Any advice appreciated, excited to have it working once again and looking forward to making the thing decent.

Edit: I'm sure this subject has been beat to a pulp all across the web, just want to hear opinions of experience and what golf cart folk think of it.

Last edited by Big Johnson; 12-21-2010 at 02:28 AM.. Reason: Forgot something.
Big Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-21-2010, 05:18 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Batteries

It sounds like you know something about battery use and life. The auto charger will usually recharge in 8hours or so depending upon several factors. The wet cell batteries have no memory and like to be kept as close to fully charged as possible at all times. I have some good but rather intense battery tech stuff on my website, good rainy day reading to help you get the most useful life from your batteries.... take a look at this charge/use chart. It shows you get much more use from these batteries by recharging often... scotty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trojan recharge Capture 001.jpg (73.4 KB, 26 views)
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Good Info thanks.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
Big Johnson
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Any advice on getting a gauge or just charge whenever? Does the charger shut off before cooking lots of $$ worth of batts?
Big Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
libertybellcdr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Listen to what Scottyb is saying about the batteries. The guys is brilliant! Also, check out his battery tutorial on his site. Very good read!
libertybellcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:09 AM   #6
libertybellcdr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
Any advice on getting a gauge or just charge whenever? Does the charger shut off before cooking lots of $$ worth of batts?
The most accurate way to get a true reading from the batteries is to get an external volt meter and mount it in your cart. Make sure it shows atleast 1 decimal place. The one's I have been looking at getting show 2 decimal places. They cost about $30 and all you have to do is run the wires and dash mount.

Again, for more info regarding battery life and voltages, check out Scottyb's website.
libertybellcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO