lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
frankowe
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default solenoid resistance

anyone know what resistance should be across small terminals of a 400 amp solenoid, i recently had diode fail and short out micro, just checking to see if any damage was done internally to solenoid allthough all is working well.
frankowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Default Re: solenoid resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankowe View Post
anyone know what resistance should be across small terminals of a 400 amp solenoid, i recently had diode fail and short out micro, just checking to see if any damage was done internally to solenoid allthough all is working well.
I don't know what the resistance of the Solenoid coil is but I can tell you that a shorted Diode/Rectifier will simply shunt the coil and it's not possible to damage it in any way.

Shunt means that the current will flow heavily through the Diode and not in the coil of the solenoid.

There's no way to damage the Solenoid coil other than applying too much VOLTAGE thereby causing it to draw too much CURRENT. If it's a 36 volt solenoid and you only have 36 volts in your cart available then there's no way to cause damage to this component, period.
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by todo_brane_ded View Post
I don't know what the resistance of the Solenoid coil is but I can tell you that a shorted Diode/Rectifier will simply shunt the coil and it's not possible to damage it in any way.

Shunt means that the current will flow heavily through the Diode and not in the coil of the solenoid.

There's no way to damage the Solenoid coil other than applying too much VOLTAGE thereby causing it to draw too much CURRENT. If it's a 36 volt solenoid and you only have 36 volts in your cart available then there's no way to cause damage to this component, period.
Solenoid current with respect to voltage applies to the activation circuit only. The solenoid switch conducts amperage regardless of voltage.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
frankowe
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

so its completely nomal to have continuity across both small terminals at solenoid with no voltage being applied, i have b- at both terminals until pedal is depressed, should'nt the b+ side be just open??? and not b- on it, one reason why i am concerned is that off ther small b+ terminal i am powiring controller, so when pedal is not being pressed i have b- at controller also, thats ok??
frankowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankowe View Post
so its completely nomal to have continuity across both small terminals at solenoid with no voltage being applied, i have b- at both terminals until pedal is depressed, should'nt the b+ side be just open??? and not b- on it, one reason why i am concerned is that off ther small b+ terminal i am powiring controller, so when pedal is not being pressed i have b- at controller also, thats ok??
The short answer to your first question is yes, the coil has resistance and therefore "continuity". What resistance range are you measuring this on? I'm not sure what the question is concerning the rest of what you wrote.

The Solenoid gets it's power from the controller. When the pedal is NOT depressed there's 0v on both sides of the solenoid (one end is wired to (b-).

When you depress the pedal the controller applies 36v to the high side of the solenoid (this is where the diode is connected with the silver band) causing it to energize.

Anyway, given what you found originally, a shorted diode, that cannot, or will not under any circumstances damage a solenoid.

You're done fixing, now's time to start driving....
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO