lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
pruittandco
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Unhappy Pioneer 1200 gass over charging

I have a 2002 pioneer 1200 with the FE350 engine. I found that it wasn't charging and took it to a local shop for repair. I tech said both generator and regulator were bad and replaced both. Before the repair i had 12.5 volts at battery with engine reved up. After repair I have 16-17 volts. Tech said this was due to battery starting to go bad and regulator was trying to compensate. Does this sound right? He didn't seem like the brightest bulb in the box and I want to make sure before spending for a new battery.
pruittandco is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
littlebob
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Pioneer 1200 gass over charging

If your voltage drops below 10v while starting the battery may be going bad. Over 15v sounds like a faulty voltage regulator.
littlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
pruittandco
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Tried that and voltage stayed at 12.5 while starting. It slowly climbs to 17.2 at wide open throttle, the goes to 13.4 at idle.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

The voltage regulator does not seem to be doing it's job.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:54 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Yep... sounds like the Voltage Regulator!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

wow i can,t beleive they got you for a starter......thats not right and i,ll bet there was nothing wrong with it.......yes your voltage regulator if its going over 15.5 approx is bad and if they just put it on take it back to them.............i would also question about the s/g ...........hey guys how many times have you seen a s/g go bad as far as charging??? me in over 10 years 1 time...........very rarly do they go bad like that......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
stinger5
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
wow i can,t beleive they got you for a starter......thats not right and i,ll bet there was nothing wrong with it.......yes your voltage regulator if its going over 15.5 approx is bad and if they just put it on take it back to them.............i would also question about the s/g ...........hey guys how many times have you seen a s/g go bad as far as charging??? me in over 10 years 1 time...........very rarly do they go bad like that......................
I have never seen one fail due to charging issues. Brushes, bearings etc seem to be the only main problems.
I'm afraid I have to agree with Tom on this one, it sounds as though you were sold an expensive starter that you didn't need and probably paid for it to be installed as well. Go back and at the very least ask for your old one back. I'm not aware of anyone selling them who charges a core fee so that shouldn't be an issue. Sad to say, I know of a repair shop here who will behave this way. If a starter needs brushes for example, they just throw a "new" unit on. Same with noisy bearings. I'm guessing they repaint and clean the removed piece and repeat the unscrupulous cycle over and again.

Last edited by stinger5; 10-14-2011 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: spelling error
stinger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
pruittandco
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I looked at the regulator today again and it seems to have a tiny "screw" adjustment in one corner. Could it be adjustable? Had the battery check and it checked good.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
pruittandco
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I was also just checking on the + and - post on battery. Will I get different reading going from the solenoid?
Old 10-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #10
stinger5
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruittandco View Post
I was also just checking on the + and - post on battery. Will I get different reading going from the solenoid?
The solenoid is a direct feed (+) from the battery so testing between it and ground is the same as testing between the battery connections assuming your connections are all clean. You can also test from the cable bolts on the battery and then the actual battery posts themselves and see if there is a difference there. This has helped me in the past to determine a poor connection between the battery cables and the respective battery post connectors.
stinger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car