lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Lucas867
Not Yet Wild

Default Opinions on a gas hunting buggie...

Ive built electric ezgo txt's in the past for hunting and have loved them, but they are money pits. You can sink so much money into controllers, motors, batteries, not including all the accessories you need for hunting such as racks, lights, etc. I was thinking about building a gas one. Am i stupid for considering this or what? My biggest concerns are power and noise. Are there upgrades out there strong enough to pull 22" tires and a couple people up a hill? Do they make quiet exhausts for them? If i did consider do this, I was thinking Yamaha or Ezgo. Ive heard good things about yamaha but everybody has their own opinion.

Thanks for your input,

Lucas
Lucas867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
KENNETHC
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Opinions on a gas hunting buggie...

i have a yamaha g14 gas and love it. how many atvs are out there and they are gas. i did upgrade to a bigger motor and that made a big diffrence. you will need to put the torque spring in the driven clutch at least. i wouldnt go back to a atv over my cart at any time.
KENNETHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

I have an ez go with the 295/350 setup and love it. Havent found a hill it won't climb. It pulls great and will easily haul two men and whatever wildlife you plan on hunting. It is as quiet as any atv and has plenty of power. Im an ezgo guy so I don't know much about the other carts. Hope this helps you.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
Lucas867
Not Yet Wild

Everyone at my hunting club uses electrics. I haul my fourwheeler on the trailer and the only time it comes off is if i shoot a deer. Nothing beats a 4 wheel drive fourwheeler, but I knew i could build a gas golf cart for cheaper than i could an electric, but i wanted it to be quieter than my wheeler so i could take it off the trailer and drive it to my destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNETHC View Post
i have a yamaha g14 gas and love it. how many atvs are out there and they are gas. i did upgrade to a bigger motor and that made a big diffrence. you will need to put the torque spring in the driven clutch at least. i wouldnt go back to a atv over my cart at any time.
Lucas867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Lets face it...deer. cattle all get used to whatever you are driven around, I don't care how loud it is, as long as you get them acclimated to the sound and sight enough I don't think they care. That said, I don't drive mine close when I actually go to a blind to hunt.....
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

my gas cart is way quieter than my 4 wheeler. its no electric but it pretty dang quiet
882001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
reinman88
Gone Wild

I have a 99 workhorse with a 350. I added 22 inch tires, and have had no problems in mud or sand.

I have to go about 1 mile to get to where we hunt, and on the way out, on a dirt road, go up a steep hill. Google earth says over a distance of about 200 yards we climb over 80 feet in elevation. This fall I pulled a small trailer with 2 deer on it, while a passenger rode with me up that hill. We weren't going very fast by the time we got to the top, but we made it.

I use my cart in the woods we hunt all year. So basically by hunting season the deer are used to the cart and usually just stand there and watch as I drive by. The cart is much quieter then my 4 wheeler.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas867 View Post
Ive built electric ezgo txt's in the past for hunting and have loved them, but they are money pits. You can sink so much money into controllers, motors, batteries, not including all the accessories you need for hunting such as racks, lights, etc. I was thinking about building a gas one. Am i stupid for considering this or what? My biggest concerns are power and noise. Are there upgrades out there strong enough to pull 22" tires and a couple people up a hill? Do they make quiet exhausts for them? If i did consider do this, I was thinking Yamaha or Ezgo. Ive heard good things about yamaha but everybody has their own opinion.

Thanks for your input,

Lucas
No, you're not stupid! Each type of cart has it's ups and downs. If you are looking at a long ride and a big score, a gas cart might be the ticket. I think that there is less work in keeping a gas cart going, but the expense of getting it the way you want it is almost equal at the start (lifts, tires, upgrade performance). If it is something you use all the time I think the cost is about the same over a 10 year period, but if it is only used occasionally, then I would go with gas and be very particular about the maintenance and storage when not in use.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO