lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
milky7272
Not Yet Wild

Default 1984 ezgo fuel promblem

So we were driving along yesterday and she started sputtering and had to choke her to keep here running. Got home and assumed the carb needed to be cleaned. So I disassembled it cleaned it out and reinstalled. Still have the same problem. Any ideas? It has to be a fuel problem since you have to choke it. The carb was a little dirty but looked good. Thanks in advance Richard

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
milky7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1984 ezgo fuel promblem

Fuel-filter plugged or pump getting weak?Did you clean out the main-jet with a torch-tip cleaner?This is real common for the complaint you have.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
milky7272
Not Yet Wild

Fuel filter is new. How can I tell if the pump is putting out enough? If its bad can I replace it with an electric pump?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
kbuckholtz
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Make sure the tank is vented properly
kbuckholtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'd Loosen the cap and see if she runs. If so it's the vent clogged.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
milky7272
Not Yet Wild

Is the vent in the cap? It started after my wife ran over one of those big fire ant mounds, but if its in the cap I wouldnt think that would have caused it. thanks
Old 01-31-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

There are many possibilities as to what is causing your problem. The first thing that I would do is to pull the fuel line off the carburetor, point it into a container and get someone to crank the engine whilst you watch the fuel flow. You should see a series of big healthy pulsing jets. A dribble or a trickle will not do. If the fuel flow is correct then you need to readdress the carburetor and at the same time look for air leaks around the carburetor and inlet unions. The 2PG engine is very intolerant of leaks. The easiest way to search is to get the back on stands (or remove the drive belt) and if you can get it running spray WD40 around the unions. If the engine note changes you have found a leak.

If on the other hand the fuel delivery is not correct you need to look at a faulty fuel filter, blocked pipe, blocked vent or defective pump. Poor fuel flow is also an indicator of worn crankshaft seals and I mention this as replacing the pump (with OEM or electric) will not resolve your issue. You can test the rear seal with WD40 but you cannot test the front seal as it is well hidden by the fan.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
milky7272
Not Yet Wild

Guys I think I have found my promblem. The brass screw in piece below the fuel line port is not there! Not sure if I didnt tighten it back or if I just didnt put it back in.If you enlarge the pictureit is circled in red. Does any one have an extra they will part with or know where I can get one !!! Please!! Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carb promb.jpg (178.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
milky7272
Not Yet Wild

Looks like it is number 15 in this diagram
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carb diagram.jpg (38.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
milky7272
Not Yet Wild

Well I found an air jet installed it and have no change. I have awesome fuel from the pump, I tried it with out the fuel cap on. Still have to work the choke to get her to run. I am thinking of taking the carb back down and having one of the guys at work dip it, and pray there is something clogged up. New filter new plug, not really sure were to go now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO