lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
cozzmokramer
Not Yet Wild

Default Hauling Club Car

I am going to pick up a 1990 Club Car on Saturday. The drive is about 2.5 hours one way. The deal also included a trailer. I have never hauled a golf cart before and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how to secure the cart on the trailer. When I asked the former owner, he just told me that his dad used to "just drive the cart on the trailer and go". I am sure he was only hauling it a few blocks rather than 120 miles.

I have attached a picture of the trailer if that helps. Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golf Trailer.jpg (219.9 KB, 0 views)
cozzmokramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
cozzmokramer
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Hauling Club Car

If I have placed this post in the wrong thread, I apologize. But this is the what I thought would be the best place for it. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Welcome to BGW cozzmo!

Your common sense is correct! Always... ALWAYS strap the cart down!!!
Some just run a strap side to side over the floor board... it seems to work for them!
I strap mine down front and back... it keeps it from moving side to side, or forward and backward!

Never, EVER just count on the parking (hill) brake!

Yeah, I know Scottyb... I supposed to crisscross the straps!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
cozzmokramer
Not Yet Wild

Sounds good... It looks like there are a couple of eyelets on each side of the trailer, so I will try to run a strap over the floorboard. Hope this works. I don't know if there is anyway to secure it front and back.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

As long as you check the straps, hill brake, and possible cart movement periodically on your way home, you should be good to go!

Old 08-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
PIB-My-Ride
Getting Wild

Club Car

I transport my cart 100 miles twice a year, so I bought some self-winding tie-down straps that make life a lot easier.

I'd be suspicious of anyone who recommended not securing the cart on the trailer. As said above, I have to tighten or at least check the straps halfway through the trip. Hit one good pot hole and the cart is like a bucking bronco!
PIB-My-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

I also use the strap each corner method. I figure if it works for my old cars, it'll be more than enough to hold my Golf Cart to the trailer.

The only thing I will add is to stop and check your straps to make sure they're still tight every once in a while. Straps do strech some and will loosen up on you!

Now onto the trailer. Make sure the lights work and the tires are in good shape with the proper air pressure in them! If you don't have a spare for it, with 250 miles of road debris to pull it through I would get one.

I also carry extra tail light bulbs and a multi-tip screw driver on long trips, just in case one of the bulbs on the trailer blows out. You would be surprised how many faulty equipment tickets I have gotten out of just because I could fix the light right then and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
Yeah, I know Scottyb... I supposed to crisscross the straps!
It must be a Scott thing, because I was about to say the straps need to be crossed to keep crab walking across the trailer down.

-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

You guys are quick!

I was typing my response and you beat me to it!

-Scott H.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzmokramer View Post
Sounds good... It looks like there are a couple of eyelets on each side of the trailer, so I will try to run a strap over the floorboard. Hope this works. I don't know if there is anyway to secure it front and back.
Look on the front of the trailer where I marked your picture. There just might be tie down rings on it already.

You could also try hooking the ratchet strap under the frame on one side of the tongue and hooking the end to the opposite side of the cart. Repete on the other sides for the 2nd strap.

Also, you're going to want to keep the cart off of the stop post on the front of the trailer or pad the post some how. If you don't, after the 250 mile trip you're going to have one nasty rub mark on the cart!

-Scott H.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H. View Post

It must be a Scott thing, because I was about to say the straps need to be crossed to keep crab walking across the trailer down.
In all honesty... my cart doesn't budge from it's spot after a 250 mile trip!
I DO understand the concept! BUT... eventually, the will straps wear out where they rub,
and I refuse to take a chance of losing my cart in the middle, or on the side of a highway!

So there!

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car