lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
chach3835
Not Yet Wild

Question 1987 Sun Classic Needing Info

Hey Yall

I am new to the site and I am looking to trade for a Golf Cart. The guy tells me its a 1987 Sun Classic Yamaha golf cart all original with 2 stroke motor and he even has the flap doors that will snap on to enclose it all. My question is how much is this cart worth he said he paid 2500 bucks for it last year and does not use it at all. $2500 hundred sounds hi to me and my buddy tells me its worth 750-1000 bucks. So my question is what is close to the real value of this cart. Thanks in advance.

Chach
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUN CLASSIC.jpg (216.1 KB, 0 views)
chach3835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
whiteriver23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1987 Sun Classic Needing Info

Did you check ebay for current and completed listings? Might be a good place to start but, 2500 does sound a bit high. What's the intended use?
JP
whiteriver23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
chach3835
Not Yet Wild

To use at campground and drive from my house to my buddies houses down the road, its back roads country, my buddies drive theirs and make pit stops at houses drinking the beer in the fridges including mine in the shop. So I would like to return the favor :)
Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
chach3835
Not Yet Wild

The prices were all around could not get a solid figure so I though I would come to the experts.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
whiteriver23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I'm no expert but, I think I'd start by checking out the guts--compression-clutch-belts-carb etc. take it for a test run and I mean a good long run. If you have to do some rehab. these are the areas that will eat up your $$$. Everything else is cosmetics. Plan on about $50+ for tires. I think your buddy is probably close on value although depending on the above maybe $1500 would be tops.
JP
whiteriver23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

$2,500 is high for this Sun Classic. It is G3. The "flap" enclosure is a pain in the bu--. I just traded my 92 Classic (G5) that was cherry, larger body and 4cycl, for value of 2,500. I figured it was worth about 3,000. If you buy this you can expect some primary mntce. Your buddy is about right at he 750/1,000. Parts, even used, are hard to find and pricey. Good luck
dcannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
85.G3
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I paid $600 as it looks in my photo not running, no windshield, and body/decal damage on the rear and door panel. It is now better than new mechanical with the body work done and when finished with new wind shield and decals I will have about $1,750 total invested. I spent more on the motor than I needed to but wanted 100% new top end, performance clutch and pipe so it will be good for as long as I have it. I could have saved about $500 with a simple top end tune and seals. One sold in my area that was a 1986 that was stored indoors and only used a couple times. looked brand new and sold for $2,000. .... If it is all there, works good, and the compression is good I would say $1,000 to $1,500 is in the ballpark.
85.G3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I would tell you to look at the year, its OLD. Any 2 stroke cart is OLD some 4 strokes. People seem to ignore this. I can get lots of carts <10yr old for 2500, and much better deal to have a newer one. There are some issues if you want to mod a cart, some are better for lifts and engines and whatnot, though can be done to all of them, but all in all a newer cart will be newer and better designed. All of them obviously are very reliable or you would not see them around yet, particularly the old yamahas which were ahead of their time. But today they are old carts, 2 strokes are stinky and noisy though that may not apply to your use. You get into suspension and steering issues, frame rust, harder to find parts, etc with old carts. The G1 is an exception while there is not that much for aftermarket there are millions of them around for parts. I would look for a 2000-up cart if you don't have the budget then 90s cart. But that is just my .02, in the end they are worth what they get in your area. Old carts still have high value in some places I'm not sure why other than buyer ignorance. I would not pay 600 for a G1 in average shape a couple years ago, the steering was not nice but it ran/drove and was all there. Power was low, it needed a lot of work to be up to snuff so why mess with some old thing by the time I put cash into it I would have same cost as newer/nicer cart. I offered him 500 figure that was top dollar and he sold it to someone else, who sold it later, and I see it driving around still today lol. G1 has same mechanicals as this cart.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
85.G3
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Old is the best thing about mine and I love 2 strokes.
85.G3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha