lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
MattMPA
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G16. How Many Times Does The Plug Fire?

All this tach stuff....

Do the G16 spark plugs first just once per cycle? Or are these multiple spark engines?

Equus seems to think this could be the reason my tach isn't working. I'm thinking they only fire once...but just have to double check.
MattMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G16. How Many Times Does The Plug Fire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMPA View Post
All this tach stuff....

Do the G16 spark plugs first just once per cycle? Or are these multiple spark engines?

Equus seems to think this could be the reason my tach isn't working. I'm thinking they only fire once...but just have to double check.
Most 4 stroke single cylinder magneto ignition engines spark on every revolution, since they are timed from the crankshaft rather than the camshaft. I would think that golf carts are set up similarly. But that alone should not prevent a tach from "working". It would still work, just read twice as many RPM's as if it were expecting a spark every other revolution.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
MattMPA
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Sandbagger...and I agree. In fact, I argued that somewhat with the guy from Equus. I tried both settings for the inductive pickup and one is accurate...but erratic...the other double what it should be.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Most fire every time, only old kohlers with points off the cam fire every second time and similar. You may have to position the pick up in a different spot, reverse it, even run a longer plug wire away from the engine a little to connect it....one of those usually gets the inductive p/u to work.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
MattMPA
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

sho305...

The spark plug lead is very short...so I can't move it much if at all.

I reversed it...and it didn't work at all.

I did route the pickup wire differently.

I guess I can get one of those NGK splicers and make the spark wire longer. If I knew that would fix it...I'd do it....
Old 08-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I did a little googling and found that you are not alone trying to get the Equus Tach to work on a golf cart. There were quite a few posts with similar problems. I found one cure which might be worth a try! Not sure if your current spark plug is a resistor plug, but if it is, you might see if you can come up with a non-resistor spark plug (many plugs come either/or and usually the resistor plug has an "R" somewhere in the number). The non-resistor plug will have a higher current flow during the spark and could give your inductive pick-up a stronger signal. Someone else posted this as a cure for their problems. Not too expensive and might be worth a try. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Most plug wires are not long enough for the pick up to fit right. Mine would not work right until I bought the NGK plug wire splicer and made my plug wire longer it now works great. This is mentioned several times on this forum.
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I had a tach you clamp on the wire long time ago, it did the same things. Sure worked nice once it was on right. I used to keep a huge wire off a BBC with a modded distributor end on it that would plug into the sparkplug end, an extension wire so to speak and it worked great (for testing).
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
MattMPA
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Well guys...thanks again for all the help.

I ordered the NGK piece...should be here in a few days.

I remembered that I had one of those spark plug wire testers that goes in line between the plug a wire. I hooked that up...then put the inductive pickup on tester. Tach works fine!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha