lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Buckstivers
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G 16 clutch issue

I have a problem with one of the rollers jumping out of place. I fixed it once and it was fine for a few months but it has done it again. It will be going fine and it will start jerking until you take it apart and put it back in place. I was wondering what would cause it to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Buckstivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G 16 clutch issue

I think you may have the wrong "spider" for the rollers you are using. Also check the ends of the ramps for damage, and the rollers for flat spots. Check the three sided piece that the rollers live in (spider) for a "Y" cast in the side facing away from the engine, its small look close. When the rollers are replaced, Yamaha specifies a kit to replace the "non-y spider" with a "y" spider. If none of this makes sense to you, let me know, then i will post a pic and part number tomorrow. Also, when my clutch did this, and my brother continued to use it, the engine was destroyed, just a warning, you may want to stop using it until you get this figured out.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Buckstivers
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have taken the cover off and I was wrong about the roller coming loose it is the weight that slips out. The rollers look fine and the weight looks good but when you go downhill and it opens up it slings the weight out. I put it back in and it runs fine till it opens all the way up. I am bumfuzzled as to why it is doing this.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Could be the secondary clutch or the drive belt is causing your problem. Drive belt new width 1 3/16 minumum 1 inch. Secondary clutch must be in full preload.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:26 AM   #5
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You can send your complete clutch to Don at plowman's, he will rebuild it and send it back out the same day. When I talked to him it wasn't to pricey considering what all he does. Check him out!!!!!!
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
Buckstivers
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have checked the belt and it is fine and everything else seems ok. When you open it up it just slings the weight up past the rollers and jerks real bad at low speed. The rollers seem fine, no flat spot and the weight seems ok and I don't know what to check now. I am at a loss. LOL
Old 08-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
chompy
Getting Wild

Your problem could be worn out sheaves. Over the years and especially with excessive speed, your sheaves (sliding and fixed) will develop a flat spot where they meet. Eventually the sliding sheave moves will move too far in and weights can slide past the rollers.
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

BEWARE! That "jerks real bad" thing WILL destroy your engine! The connecting rod was not designed to withstand starting your cart like a steam locomotive. Trust me, i have a trashed G9 motor to prove it. You need to stop driving it like that. I wish my bro would have stopped driving it like that....
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha