lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Crafty969
Not Yet Wild

Default 87 Marathon idles but no power

Newbie here, first time cart owner. My 87 Marathon will start and idle but that's about it, it will creep along. I replaced the fuel filter, exhaust, carb and just finished replacing the crank seals. Not sure what to try next. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Crafty969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Crafty969
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 87 Marathon idles but no power

I suppose its technically not idling but if you put the pedal to the floor, the cart moves and backfires.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
redcloud
Gone Wild

Check all the carb linkages making sure you are getting full open throttle and full closed. Have you checked your fuel pump?
Your throttle should not start to open until you hear the limit switch click at peddle pressure. Peddle should move about 1/2" down before the click.
Have you done a compression check?
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Crafty969
Not Yet Wild

I will check and advise, no I didn't do a compression test. Probably should.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Crafty969
Not Yet Wild

Compression is 120
Old 10-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
redcloud
Gone Wild

120 should be a good runner unit yet so I would look at the carb linkages. Then make sure you did not put the fuel fliter in backwards ( flow arrow wrong). With new carb and runs slow you are getting starvation of fuel I would say. Check from carb to pump to tank.
Also check that you are pumping fuel when you turn the engine over. Remove fuel line at carb and turn engine over you should get a good fuel flow.
Check fuel and vac/pulse line for cracks. You may wish to check the pump if you are not getting a good pulsing action on the hose line off the block to the pump. New seals should have given good pulsing but then if you have a bad pump it would not help.
If the unit ran before your repairs just check anything that you may have touched that would cause a problem. Moving fuel lines and dealing with seals could put many things in poss. failure or damage.
At least that is where I would start.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Crafty969
Not Yet Wild

Thanks redcloud, at least I have a place to start looking. I'll let you know how I make out with it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO