lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
reinman88
Gone Wild

Default Winter starting issue

I have a 99 workhorse. I understand these are golf carts usually used in the summer, but I'm having enough starting problems in the winter I'm thinking I need to go electric. Problem is I like my gas, and feel electric will just give me other potential problems.

I have a couple ideas that may contribute to my problem, and thought I'd ask here. Aside from a warm day a few weeks ago when I was able to start the cart and run it for 5 minutes or so, it's basically sat since mid Nov. When I try to start the cart it usually just turns over but that's all. I checked the battery the other day and saw it was 12.3 volts. Is it possible the battery won't spin the motor fast enough to start the cart when it's cold. I ask this because I have an older 4 wheeler. The guy I bought it from told me it was hard to start in the cold, and the first winter once it got below 30 it wouldn't start. The next spring it started fine again. That summer I put in a new battery, and it's started in the winter even down to 0 ever since.

My other option, and the one I feel is the problem may be with the carb. I have had some problems with it flooding, and was changing plugs because I'd foul them. I also changed plug wires. So could it be the carb is making it hard to start in the winter where it would start in the summer?
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Winter starting issue

A lot of the carts are very tempermental in cold weather.As you said with your 4-wheeler,starts easily in spring.I have a Honda Quad,that if its' below 50,its' a project to get it to start,then you need to keep the choke on for quite a while,and don't even try to move the machine until its warm enough to open the choke fully.My wifes' G16 starts easily at 70degrees,below 70,it needs some choke,in winter it will not start without starting-fluid.A hotter heat-range spark-plug may help some,but they are warm-weather vehichles.They are set very lean,so that they are economical,and don't run rich to where you would have fumes that would bother the riders,cold temps require richer fuel mixtures.If I built a cart for winter-use,i'd rejet the carb to suit the weather conditions.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
reinman88
Gone Wild

Thanks. I do have hotter plugs. When I was having starting problems and it was flooding my EZ GO dealer gave me some hotter plugs. He said the recommended plugs just weren't hot enough sometimes.

I plan to take it in to him this spring and have them give it a going over, especially the carb. I suppose it might not hurt to check compression first to see if that is a problem. I'll talk to him at that time about running it a little richer so it might start better in the winter.

I don't need it to run at 0, but I would like it to run when it's down in the 20s overnight and 30s or 40s during the day. If it will do that it will take care of my hunting needs and will work when I run my trapline. I can haul a lot more with the workhorse then I can with my 4 wheeler.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

The heat range of a spark plug has no bearing on how a cold engine will start.

You didn't say whether you tried choking it while trying to start the motor.
When you try to start it, and it won't start, pull the plug(s) and see if they are wet or not.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
reinman88
Gone Wild

Sorry, yes I choke it during the winter or actually once it starts to cool off. I used to pull the choke halfway out. I did this because of the summer time flooding, thinking full choke might do that too. My local dealer said just pull it all the way out when starting in the cold.

I may be wrong here, but it seems like he said you need to gas to get it started because the engine has to turn over with compression in order for the fuel pump to work properly. This has made me wonder if low compression is having something to do with this.

When I've had problems with starting in the summer it would flood and the plugs would be wet. I'd dry them off and many times it would then start and be fine the rest of the day, though there were exceptions to that. I got to the point of carrying a spark plug socket and a cloth to dry plugs just in case. The majority of the time the flooding was first time starting each day.

Winter time starting has now been full choke but motor just spins with no fire. Then as I said a few weeks ago when it was in the upper 50s I got it to start right off.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

"Winter time starting has now been full choke but motor just spins with no fire."

Did you pull the plugs after this and see if they were wet, like in the summer?
Old 02-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
reinman88
Gone Wild

Give me a few minutes and I'll go out and give it a try. About 18 degrees right now so should be a good test.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:15 PM   #8
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Can you get a couple pics of the carb while you're out there?
Old 02-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
reinman88
Gone Wild

I can go back out for pics if it helps.

Wouldn't start, just turn over. Both plugs were wet.

To give a little more background. Last fall when I was having some problems with starting I went to the dealer for a new air filter and that is when he gave me the hotter plugs. I also wanted to get some new plug wires but he didn't have any on hand, so he gave me a set of slightly used ones to try until the new ones came in and I could get back there.

These plug wires along with new plugs seemed to work well. About a week or so later I get the new wires and put them on. Everything is fine for a couple days. I do a lot of drive a bit and stop so it has to start over again. So basically a lot of stop and go without any long trips where I might get stuck with it not starting. Then after a few days it will not start one day by my son in laws barn. I pull plugs and clean then off, still won't go. Wait till the next day reset the valves just in case, won't start. Pull plugs and put in new plugs I have on hand, won't start. then for the heck of it I pull off the new wires and put on the slighty used wires he gave me. Started right up and ran fine.

The dealer said bring it down and we'll figure this thing out so it's dependable, but it got cold shortly after, and I decided to wait for spring. And that is where I stand today.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #10
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

If you pull the plugs and check for spark while they are laying on top, do they have spark?

What type and number are the plugs?

Have you tried to start it without the air filter connected?

Is there a pilot air screw on top of the carb, close to the end near the motor?
If there is, use a screwdriver and turn it clockwise until it is closed all the way. Don't over-tighten it, just seat it. Count the number of turns it takes to completely close it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO