lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2016, 03:19 PM   #1
copper44
Not Yet Wild

Default '96 TXT Diving in headfirst

Hello everyone, as you can probably tell by my join date I have been a lurker gathering information. I purchased a house and it just happened to come with a golf cart, or I paid a lot for a golf cart that came with a house .

It is a 1996 TXT Series cart, that I have been planning on upgrading once the batteries started giving me issues. Well that time has come, and now I am looking for some help and guidance to make sure I go down the right path.

Far as cart use goes, I have roughly 40 acres at my homestead along with roughly 1800' frontage along a river that we like to fish. I plan on using it for pretty much everything but would like to stay along the theme of a hunting buggy. I am in Mid-Michigan so no major elevation changes, but I do have about a 20' hill up to the house.

My plan is to add the the Jake's long link suspension, new wheels and tires, a rear seat, potentially replace front seat, and add some type of light bar as there are no lights at all right now. So that being said I would potentially like to upgrade to 48v as I need new batteries right now. I have also seen a few individuals go the lithium route but not sure if thats quite worth the bang for your buck. Thinking I need the following for the upgrades but not sure what I should get sizewise or brands:
Controller
Solenoid
F/R Switch

Thanks in advance for any help!
copper44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2016, 03:58 PM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '96 TXT Diving in headfirst

Controller Yes
Solenoid Yes
F/R switch NO (Change that to a reversing contactor)
Motor (Torque to compensate for the lift)

I would talk to Scotty and get a package deal........
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:29 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Welcome to the madness - A series cart is well suited for what you want to do with it. One bit of advice, get a maximum tire height of 22" - tire size changes gear ratio and increased gear height decreases torque (power). 22" is about the limit for acceptable power loss and I can drive a cart on 22s any where you can drive one on 23s and then some

Okay so 22" tires, 5 inch lift or LT, rear seat or cargo box, We find the cargo box more serviceable than the rear seat on the ranch and it can double as seat for hearty souls.

Our Hunting buggie package #485 includes the new Alltrax SR48500 control and 400 super duty solenoid. Add a 2g cable set and SW202 reversing contactor kit and you can still run the stock motor until later or bolt in an 8 hp Admiral torque/speed combination motor. 48v is a good way to go with SERIES drive carts. The stock motor handles the additional voltage rather well.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:21 PM   #4
copper44
Not Yet Wild

Default '96 TXT Diving in headfirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Welcome to the madness - A series cart is well suited for what you want to do with it. One bit of advice, get a maximum tire height of 22" - tire size changes gear ratio and increased gear height decreases torque (power). 22" is about the limit for acceptable power loss and I can drive a cart on 22s any where you can drive one on 23s and then some

Okay so 22" tires, 5 inch lift or LT, rear seat or cargo box, We find the cargo box more serviceable than the rear seat on the ranch and it can double as seat for hearty souls.

Our Hunting buggie package #485 includes the new Alltrax SR48500 control and 400 super duty solenoid. Add a 2g cable set and SW202 reversing contactor kit and you can still run the stock motor until later or bolt in an 8 hp Admiral torque/speed combination motor. 48v is a good way to go with SERIES drive carts. The stock motor handles the additional voltage rather well.

Actually just took off the cargo box tonight, with kids and everything else the back seat would be nice. Hoping it cAn handle a small trailer for the other duties.

Far as 22" it seems everything I look at for combos says 23", even the 12" wheels. Can you point me somewhere to look for the 22s?
Old 08-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #5
copper44
Not Yet Wild

Also do you have a direct link to that #485 package, I guess I didn't see anything about that on the site when I was on it.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

copper, considering you want/need the rear seat.....find and get one that the back seat bottom folds down to make a flat bed. its very handy, not as handy as a cargo bed, HOWEVER you can use it to carry a lot of stuff if need be. Its what I did so I still have the bed when I need it to carry stuff, like a ice chest, tackle box, etc... when I go fishing.

oh and btw........Congrats on the new ride and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wives’, husbands, girlfriend’s and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #7
copper44
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the welcome Sir! Your rig sounds quite interesting, do you have any type of build log or anything by chance?
Old 08-31-2016, 05:52 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper44 View Post
Thanks for the welcome Sir! Your rig sounds quite interesting, do you have any type of build log or anything by chance?
YES I do.....complete from the ground up. here is a link to it.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...art-build.html
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:36 AM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
copper, considering you want/need the rear seat.....find and get one that the back seat bottom folds down to make a flat bed. its very handy, not as handy as a cargo bed, HOWEVER you can use it to carry a lot of stuff if need be. Its what I did so I still have the bed when I need it to carry stuff, like a ice chest, tackle box, etc... when I go fishing.
To add to that idea, If you get the Madjax version, they offer a rail package that effectively turns the "flatbed" into a "cargo box" and tucks away when not in use.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:45 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper44 View Post
Actually just took off the cargo box tonight, with kids and everything else the back seat would be nice. Hoping it cAn handle a small trailer for the other duties.

Far as 22" it seems everything I look at for combos says 23", even the 12" wheels. Can you point me somewhere to look for the 22s?
Pkg #485. See item #7 here > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/series-controllers.html

As for 22" tires, summon google to help with '22" golf cart tires' search or eBay
Really for what you want to do you don't need a lift and much more power is available with 20" tires and no lift but, a lot of people just want the lift.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO