lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #31
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Carts Unlimited Switchable Voltage Reducer install

ok a couple of things to get off my chest......

1st, I believe this forum is about people asking questions specifically so they DON'T blow **** up..... Don't apologize for asking questions, I personally would rather people come here and ask, even if it something that might seem benign to me, rather than destroy an expensive piece of electronics. I am also fairly certain that this view is shared by quite a few of us that are regularly posting responses to these questions.

2nd, The reason I suggested the switched wire go to the solenoid is twofold. #1, that is the way that EZGO recommends doing it on the RXV specifically because of how sensitive the controller is. #2, as Sergio pointed out, wiring it as you did basically sends 2 hot wires to your dash. Yes, technically you have sent a hot and a ground to operate the LED portion of the switch, but that "hot" wire is not just a 12v "hot" for the LED but also carries 48V hot and the "ground" wire also doubles as a 36v "hot". In my personal opinion, this is a potential hazard that I would not place in one of my customers carts.

As for identifying the switched side of the solenoid, the wire large wire that runs from the solenoid to the controller is the switched side.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #32
vonjet
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
ok a couple of things to get off my chest......

1st, I believe this forum is about people asking questions specifically so they DON'T blow **** up..... Don't apologize for asking questions, I personally would rather people come here and ask, even if it something that might seem benign to me, rather than destroy an expensive piece of electronics. I am also fairly certain that this view is shared by quite a few of us that are regularly posting responses to these questions.

2nd, The reason I suggested the switched wire go to the solenoid is twofold. #1, that is the way that EZGO recommends doing it on the RXV specifically because of how sensitive the controller is. #2, as Sergio pointed out, wiring it as you did basically sends 2 hot wires to your dash. Yes, technically you have sent a hot and a ground to operate the LED portion of the switch, but that "hot" wire is not just a 12v "hot" for the LED but also carries 48V hot and the "ground" wire also doubles as a 36v "hot". In my personal opinion, this is a potential hazard that I would not place in one of my customers carts.

As for identifying the switched side of the solenoid, the wire large wire that runs from the solenoid to the controller is the switched side.
Why does the ground wire double as a 36V hot?

Thanks for the clarification on the solenoid.
vonjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #33
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The ground wire is coming from the same battery that has the main Pack positive right (the front battery on the passenger side of the cart)? Take your DVM and hook the black wire from it to the main negative of the pack and place the red lead on the post you have the 12v ground wire coming from. What voltage do you see? Should be 36v.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #34
vonjet
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
The ground wire is coming from the same battery that has the main Pack positive right (the front battery on the passenger side of the cart)? Take your DVM and hook the black wire from it to the main negative of the pack and place the red lead on the post you have the 12v ground wire coming from. What voltage do you see? Should be 36v.
What is the danger of having these "hot" wires going to the dash for the switch? Isn't that essentially happening at the key switch and digital battery meter as well?
Old 09-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #35
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The danger is when someone else goes to do something (or years from now you forget about what you did) and you accidently arc the wire against another ground from the cart......
Old 09-14-2016, 12:56 PM   #36
vonjet
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
The danger is when someone else goes to do something (or years from now you forget about what you did) and you accidently arc the wire against another ground from the cart......
Got it. Thanks for the advice.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO