lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2016, 09:17 PM   #1
dizzieweezie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 99 TXT stops after running awhile

New guy back with another question. On our 99 TXT we are experiencing the cart stopping after running a half mile or so. When it stops you can turn it off and back on and go a few feet and it stops again. Repeat the on off and it stops again. It does this till my wife gets it home which luckily only 60/100 yards or so.

We bought the cart with no batteries so we did not know if there were any problems. Only the word of the seller. So far we have all new batteries and I replaced the solenoid thinking that might be the problem. Also added the analog meter thinking batteries were not charging. That's proved to not be a problem.

Suggestions?

Bob
dizzieweezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 TXT stops after running awhile

First we need to identify what type drive system the cart has. A 99 TXT could have either a series drive or a sepex drive (called DCS in a 99).

Does the controller cover have a run/tow switch on it? If so, you have a DCS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgoguide.jpg (78.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:48 AM   #3
dizzieweezie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes it has the Run/ Tow switch.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

DCS. Likely the controller is dropping the solenoid negative activation signal.
Flipping the R/T switch reboots the control and re-activates the signal. IF no other problems with this control you can disconnect the small solenoid black wire and run a new black wire to the battery pack main (-).
If this stops the intermittent operation you are good to go for a while longer....

This is however the beginning of the end for your stock control. Start saving for the new Alltrax XCT control for DCS.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:25 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Okay, you have a DCS and what you are experiencing is the controller starting on its journey to Valhalla.

When the cart misbehaves, does the solenoid click when you push the pedal?
If so, you can connect the solenoid's small terminal with one wire on it (blue wire probably) to the battery pack's main negative terminal as Scotty suggested and may extend the usable life of the controller a bit, but it is going to fail in the foreseeable future.

If you do connect the B- side of the solenoid coil directly to the battery, please be aware that the solenoid is no longer controller by the foot pedal and will be energized whenever the key is on and a direction is selected.

Whatever you do, don't replace the stock controller (Curtis 1206SX) with another stock controller. They were a failed design and EZGO only used them from 1995 to 1999, upgrading to the PDS in 2000.

Replace it with an XCT48400-DCS (or larger) and your cart will do a bit over 20 MPH with stock height (18") tires and a 36V battery pack.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltra...-controls.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Late DCS - No Diode.JPG (88.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-13-2016, 10:27 PM   #6
dizzieweezie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys. Good info and I'll do that jumper to the battery neg. terminal till I can get a new controller. I'll not go stock for sure but this cart is really just for my wife to run up and down our lake road visit friends and get the mail so I'm not looking to go too wild. Plus I don't want to be looking at replacing the motor. This has become a project cart and proof that it's wise to really check out used carts. At least the price was really right, cheap.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:16 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The stock components were designed for 5 years of golf. Any service after that was a bonus. I'm not surprised at all the 17 yr old speed control has begun to fail. A small investment in upgrading the electronics will net you many years of reliable (improved) performance. That performance does not have to be wild. Modern Alltrax controllers feature user friendly program interface. You can ask your dealer to preset speed limits or a soft start.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:32 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzieweezie View Post
Thanks guys. Good info and I'll do that jumper to the battery neg. terminal till I can get a new controller. I'll not go stock for sure but this cart is really just for my wife to run up and down our lake road visit friends and get the mail so I'm not looking to go too wild. Plus I don't want to be looking at replacing the motor. This has become a project cart and proof that it's wise to really check out used carts. At least the price was really right, cheap.
Sounds like the stock DCS motor has the right stuff for your needs.
It runs a bit slower than the PDS motor, but has more torque, so it would do well propelling a relatively stock cart up and down a lake road.

Alltrax does make a XCT48300 (300A - same ampacity as stock), but I've never heard of anyone installing one and a stock DCS motor will handle a 400A controller without any issues. Also, the XCT is user programmable and you can turn down the max amps it will pass to the motor.

If the controller is ran with the Turbo mode turned OFF, the cart won't reach the low 20's I mentioned earlier.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO