lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
Jm91rs
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV not working after Controller Upgrade

My brother's 2017 RXV, was working fine although 15mph just felt so slow. He followed the removal instructions and removed the controller and sent it to Bob Boyce. Re-installed after Bob's upgrades and it does nothing. Bob has done so many of these and obviously is very good at this so we are right now working under the assumption that the controller is OK. Here's what we know so far with some wire tracing:
Solenoid:
No Solenoid click at all (should it activate with gas pedal or key switch?)
Voltage across large power wire at Solenoid is ~52v with key on or off. Voltage is Zero at large terminal headed to controller with power off. When power is turned on it jumps to ~48V, but you can watch the voltage drain back to zero over the course of a minute or two. Again, gas pedal does not impact this voltage. Voltage at small positive terminal is ~52 with power on.

Run / Tow Switch:
My brother decided to put it on his trailer to bring it into our warehouse so more eyes can check it out. He could not budge it. Moved it to tow and it absolutely would not move. He had to disconnect/reconnect the numbered plugs under the seat and that would allow the motor to "click" (brake?) so he could push it up onto the trailer. So the Run/Tow switch does not seem to be working as it's supposed to, and since he only had it for a few weeks before the "upgrade" we cannot say for sure that it was working correctly before. But if it was just stuck in "run" I would think he may be able to drive like before? I tested the continuity of the switch itself, it does function as an on off switch, but I can't quite follow the wires after it leaves the switch without removing the batteries, which might be the next step.

So where do we go from here? I'm focused on the solenoid for right now, only because I hear absolutely no clicking there and it's kind of odd to me to watch that voltage just drain from ~48 to zero every time the key is cycled from off to on. He says he followed all removal instructions (although one of those instructions is to move the switch to tow and I'm not sure I believe that switch does anything) so I'm assuming nothing was fried when removing the controller (found 2 fuses, those are fine). Assuming the controller is OK, we need to be looking at what could have gone wrong removing or reinstalling the controller. Ideas? I feel really bad for him, this is a pretty expensive shiny brick right now and I'd like to help him get it back on the road.

We are not experts on electrical systems, but can generally figure these things out with some guidance.
Jm91rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2020, 01:48 PM   #2
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: RXV not working after Controller Upgrade

I'd place my money on a bad solenoid. It powers on with KS and stays on. Voltage on controller side of solenoid should match pack voltage and stay there. I replaced one on Tuesday on a 2017 Elite Lithium RXV doing the just about the same thing. Turn on KS and it would be 15V on controller side of solenoid, turn off and on again and 32V. Different voltage each time. New sol and good as new. The RXV experts should also chime in here soon, hopefully confirm my SWAG on the problem.
Good luck
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:44 AM   #3
GATORB8
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Have you tried cleaning and checking connection at the controller connector? The tow circuit does run through it.

Diagram is on K-11 here if you don’t have it: https://www.ezgo.com.au/files/4998/6...r%20Manual.pdf
GATORB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #4
Jm91rs
Not Yet Wild

Connections are clean. I’m going to disconnect the controller to see if the voltage continues to drain on that side of the solenoid. I’m hoping it’s not the controller, but how can we test that?

If bob Boyce sees this- is there a way he can send the controller back to you to see if somehow something happened to it during shipping or installation? We are finding continuity through all wires and running out of other things to check. I guess I’ll know more when I see what the solenoid does when there’s no controller connected to that side
Old 07-18-2020, 12:21 PM   #5
Roger1224
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

could you possibly remove run/tow panel above controller and take a clear pic of how it is installed and post,,,may give someone an idea of whats going on.
Roger1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
Jm91rs
Not Yet Wild

I don't see a way to upload a photo so I guess I'll have to find another place to upload it and link it here?
Old 07-20-2020, 04:09 PM   #7
Jm91rs
Not Yet Wild

Here's where I am with the testing.

With everything connected, key off, tow switch on or off 52v at large Solenoid Terminal connected to battery, 0V at Terminal connected to Controller thru B+ Resistor wire

With everything connected, key on, tow switch on or off 52V at Large Solenoid Terminal connected to battery, 48+V at large terminal solenoid terminal connected to controller through B+ resistor wire but that voltage drains quickly, going to zero after a minute or so.

With controller B+ disconnected from Solenoid, key on or off, run or tow, 52V at battery terminal on Solenoid and 0V at terminal that runs to B+ on controller

I keep looking for other reasons for this to be broken, but is it possible that something happened to the controller during shipping or installation?
Old 07-20-2020, 04:11 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Go to the Advanced post section next to quick reply and click on manage attachments
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:58 PM   #9
Jm91rs
Not Yet Wild

320C2DC9-085F-43DC-8F74-9E9D9EC91518.jpg

24783A2B-549B-4CC3-B1E4-CB9E9E07EE36.jpg

E27D8366-F007-4770-AFEF-77D4E09FE5C9.jpg

345DCD2E-BBC4-45B1-A21F-8CE4CEA9FD5F.jpg
Old 07-21-2020, 05:51 AM   #10
Roger1224
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

all appears to be connected properly.
Roger1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO