lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2020, 10:41 AM   #1
Vtr Coatings
Not Yet Wild

Default Ez go No Go

Hey guys, looking forward to learn a bit here. I acquired a 36v dcs ez go txt that wouldn’t run. New batteries, new solenoid, motor was repaired and gone through.
I’m able to go forward or reverse for about a foot and then it dies out. Then nothing at all until I reset it about 5 or so minutes later and then the same thing. (Almost like a breaker is getting to hot and when it cools it reconnects)
With the key on I get battery voltage at the right side of the solenoid and 4.6 volts on the other side. Same reading with the pedal depressed. I get no solenoid click and at the blue wire I’m getting 27volts. When the solenoid is jumped, forward and reverse work no problem and the throttle response is perfect, but only with the solenoid jumped. I ordered a new resistor and pedal micro switch that will be in tomorrow. But any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Vtr Coatings is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2020, 12:28 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ez go No Go

Moving a short distance and stopping, the doing it again after a pause, indicates the solenoid contacts are not closing.
The Resistor/diode assembly across the solenoid's large terminals precharge the filter capacitors inside the controller and it is the energy stored in the capacitors than move the cart until it is depleted.

With run/tow switch in run, keyswitch or and either F or R selected on the direction selector, you should have battery pack voltage on the solenoid's small terminal with three wires on it and the terminal with the blue wire on it should also have pack voltage until pedal is pressed, then should go to 0V.

Sounds like you've either got a bad pedal switch or a bad controller.

The stock controller (Curtis 1206SX) is a failed design and dies often, so if it is the controller, replace it with an Alltrax XCT48400-DCS.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:10 PM   #3
Vtr Coatings
Not Yet Wild

Thankyou for the info!! I’m leaning towards controller as well And I appreciate you sending a more number over. I did take the controller off and opened it up. I can’t visually see any faulty areas or burnt components. Tomorrow I get the pedal switches and new resistor in, if that’s doesn’t work then controller it is. Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #4
Vtr Coatings
Not Yet Wild

Is there any way to test that resistor. I’m assuming to remove it and go across the 2 terminals and read the ohms? 250ohms it’s reading so I assumed it was good but didn’t know if there was another test.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:49 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtr Coatings View Post
Is there any way to test that resistor. I’m assuming to remove it and go across the 2 terminals and read the ohms? 250ohms it’s reading so I assumed it was good but didn’t know if there was another test.
If the resistor was bad, the cart wouldn't have moved the few feet when the pedal was pushed.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:34 PM   #6
Vtr Coatings
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. By chance, What sends ground to the blue wire on the right small terminal of the solenoid. If I have a bad micro switch I wouldn’t get a click from the solenoid right?
Old 07-27-2020, 07:47 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtr Coatings View Post
Thanks. By chance, What sends ground to the blue wire on the right small terminal of the solenoid. If I have a bad micro switch I wouldn’t get a click from the solenoid right?
A solid state device inside the controller.

The battery pack's main negative terminal (B-) is connected to the controller's B- terminal and when the pedal switch places B+ on Pin-5, the controller connects B- to Pin-7 (Blue wire)

--------------
Technically, all of a golf cart's electrical systems are two wire, so there is no "ground". The frame and metal body parts are not connected to the battery pack and cannot be used as a return path.

You've got B+ going to the solenoid coil, but no B- getting to the other side. That means either the pedal switch is bad or the controller is bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCS Schematic - Later type FNR.jpg (190.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-28-2020, 02:03 PM   #8
Vtr Coatings
Not Yet Wild

Very knowledgeable. Thanks. And I do have voltage at pin 5...14v with key on and 38v when pedal depressed. So I guess it seems like my pedal is working correctly but not through the controller. 😩
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO