lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2008, 01:05 AM   #1
quickviii
Not Yet Wild

Default Lester charger problem

Ok, I was given an older Club Car. It didn't run. I found the batteries to have been wired incorrectly. I pulled the batteries. Used a jumper box to test the motor, it worked well. But when I tested the Charger with my meter, I get nothing. It is an automatic type Lester (36 volt), has a good fuse still showing behind the clear cover on front. Am I just missing something? Does it have to be hooked up to all batteries to start charging? And if there is a problem, can I solve it with the help of one of you guys who has experience with this type charger? I want to test the whole cart and charger, before I modify the cart. All the batteries have a water level below the plates, but before I fill them (distilled water) I want to be able to charge them. I have a EZGO charger that you set with a timer, but I heard the Lesters that charge automaticly are the best for the batteries. Help please!!!!
quickviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2008, 01:46 AM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Lester charger problem

The charger has to be hooked up o the batteries to come on. The charger has to see around 28 volts or up to kick the charger on. If the combined battery voltage is below that it won't work. You can use a 12vdc automotive type charger to charge 2 batteries at a time to get the voltage up enough to kick on.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:52 AM   #3
kirkroediger
Getting Wild

on the electronic ccs the the golf cart comp. starts the charger but it sounds like you have a older one. if your batts are too low they wiill not send a signal to the charger to start, however, your charger with timer should work with dead batts.
kirkroediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:04 AM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkroediger View Post
however, your charger with timer should work with dead batts.
The semi auto's made by E-Z-GO use a timer AND a Module Control Board. The charger still has to see so many volts to kick on. The charger will shut itself off when the charge is complete regardless of the number of hours left on the timer.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
quickviii
Not Yet Wild

Thanks so much for your input. I will try the 12v charge option first, install batteries and then plug in the lester.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
quickviii
Not Yet Wild

Just wanted to say thanks to all who helped. I topped of the batteries with distilled water (5 gallons to top 6 batteries!) charged the batteries in sets of two on a 12v charger. Installed them, wired them correctly and the cart runs. I then pluged in the charger and it kicked on. Now I have a cart that runs so well I'm almost sorry to cut it up!! Thanks again!!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car