lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2015, 11:36 PM   #1
peatsaman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1988 ez-go gets up to speed then stops running

Hi, I got a 88 ez-go I have been working on. First it wasn't getting gas so I got that figured out replaced fuel pump. It fired right up and ran great for about 15 20 seconds then it would slow to almost a stop, then rev back up and take off again. I've replaced fuel filter, emptied the gas and refilled, took off carb and cleaned (had a lot of crap in the bowl). Could the carb be junk? Or maybe an electrical issue? Any ideas
Thanks
Rick
peatsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:06 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 ez-go gets up to speed then stops running

It sounds like you have a fuel delivery problem, not an electrical issue.

It surges, runs out of gas, and then surges again. I would say clean the fuel pump, but you already replaced it with a new one.

Give the carb another good cleaning, and then do some research on changing the crankshaft seals. You won't be too thrilled about that.

We could also use some more detail on how long you have had the cart, what work has been done to it, and if it has ever run correctly while in your possession.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:16 AM   #3
peatsaman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I've had it about 6 years or so. It's been sitting the last 2-3 years. Before that I used it quite a bit golfing. It ran fine.
Decided to get back into golfing so I've been trying to get it running.
This is all I've done to it, it's always ran good besides a spark plug a couple times.
I'll take another look at the carburetor tomorrow.
peatsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:55 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

If the vent line on the carburetor was locked you would see the same symptoms. There should be a clear plastic line from the top of the carburetor that goes nowhere. This is to let air in as the fuel gets sucked out of the bowl. Check to see if it is blocked, if it is missing look for the nipple on the top of the carburetor and see if that is blocked.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO