lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
gscs85
Not Yet Wild

Question 88 Gas 2PG wont stay running

Hey everyone, First time using this site but so far am very impressed with all I see. I recently purchased an 88 EZGO Gas cart that had a questionable engine. My son and I used it as a project and have rebuilt almost everything. Now that I have figured out all of my electrical problems, I cannot get the engine to stay running. I have cleaned out the carburator at least six times and have not found any problems with it. The air filter is clean, I have good spark, and good compression. When I attempt to start it I have to use the choke to get an initial fire. I have to hold the choke half way open and the engine will rev up and then die. There are no restrictions in the fuel line and the fuel pump is working well. Could this be a timing issue?? I thought after twenty five years of being a Gas Turbine mechanic that this would be easy but right now it is kicking my butt!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! I know everything points to a fuel delivery problem, but can tell you with certainty that it is getting fuel.

Thanks Rich
gscs85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

Default Re: 88 Gas 2PG wont stay running

if its like my G2a,its not supposed to stay running when you take your foot off the accelerator.i found this out after numerous tries and finally a call to a Yamaha dealer.they r made like that.
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
gscs85
Not Yet Wild

Unfortunately I am all to well aware of this. The problem is that even when I floor it it wont run. I can play with the choke and get it to ramp up to full speed and then it dies not matter what you do with the throttle or the choke. It acts just like it ran out of gas and the fuel bowl is empty but it is getting plently of gas and the bowl is still full. I have eliminated all possible fuel problems I can think of but still no go!!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

???????????? sorry.
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
gscs85
Not Yet Wild

Any input is good, I have already assumed that I am an idiot because I am letting the little 2 stroke kick my butt, I am willing to try anything at this point. Thanks Dock98
Old 01-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
irene.jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sounds like you have throttle cable hooked up backwards,cranks at open throttle and when you press pedal you close throttle.This happen to me on a cart I got with motor out,install motor and hooked cable the way I thought was right only to find ouy later it was bcakwards,good luck
irene.jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
irene.jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

gscs85,also check carb. shaft for wear ,does it seem tight or loose,will cause problems,also check your governor cable adjustment if hooked upto carb.
irene.jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
ruredy
Born Wild

Have you checked the compression? 2 stroke Can have fuel delivery problems after the carb, they have to draw the fuel mix through the crankcase. If there is a vacuum leak, it will cause problems. Make sure the cylinder nuts are tighten down, crank seals may also be an issue, check for any leakage around them. It may be an electrical issue
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #9
gscs85
Not Yet Wild

I have checked the trhottle cable and it is correct, there does not seem to be any excess play on the throttle shaft. I have not rechecked the head bolts yet but will in the morning, I have not checked compression but being that it is a new rebuild figured that would be good, Guess I'll check it anyways. As far as electrical I have checked everything I can think of, It has been rewired exactly to the manufactures drawing but I guess checking it again couldn't hurt. Any idea what kind of electrical problem I may be looking for?? Will let you all know what I find tomorrow!!
Old 01-04-2009, 10:30 PM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

What you describe sound like fuel related and not spark or timing.
You say playing the choke which means you have to force feed fuel either because low compression above the piston or vacuum loss below the piston in the crankcase like ruredy mentioned.
If those check out checking the high speed jet to see if it is clogged would be next.
Pull the breather assy off all the way back to the carb and use your hand over the carb, do you feel a good draw or a weak one?
Then try removing the muffler and try it again, any difference? If so, leave the muffler off and see if it will start and run.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO