lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #1
Ndawg12
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Burnt Up S/G

I finally got around to running the cart pretty hard this weekend. Up and down some pretty hilly roads for about an hour. Let the cart shut off and then nothing happens on restart. The S/G was fire hot!! But not smoking. Battery voltage was 12.9V, never tested it with the cart running.

Actually now that I think about it, I have run it pretty hard 5 or 6 times dragging a baseball field with a 100LB fence rake and 3-4 adults on board, but only for like 15-20 minutes at a time.

I've researched and found that I probably need to rebuild or replace the S/G and the voltage regulator. But I don't want to run into the same problem and throw that money away after my next hard long run. I am running the original pulley on the S/G but I'm probably spinning a lot more RPMs with my Honda 340 as opposed to the original Robin 295. Would anyone advise changing my S/G pulley? Anything else I should be looking at?

TIA
Ndawg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2019, 11:09 AM   #2
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Burnt Up S/G

First you should find out what RPM you are running the 340 at. A good, reliable tach would be good insurance anyway. Not an expert but I believe the Robins 295 maxed out below 4,000 RPM. Probably more like 3500-3700 RPM when governed.

Then check the diameter of your current drive pulley and the original. That would give you some idea if you are now under driving or over driving the starter generator with the new engine.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:03 PM   #3
Ndawg12
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
First you should find out what RPM you are running the 340 at. A good, reliable tach would be good insurance anyway. Not an expert but I believe the Robins 295 maxed out below 4,000 RPM. Probably more like 3500-3700 RPM when governed.

Then check the diameter of your current drive pulley and the original. That would give you some idea if you are now under driving or over driving the starter generator with the new engine.
I'll try to measure tonight but I can tell you I went from an OEM drive pulley to the Comet 870.
Ndawg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:05 PM   #4
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hopefully one of the more experienced four cycle EZGO members can chime in and help you out with what a max safe rpm for the starter generator is.

I ran my 295 Robins until I re-powered with a clone with electric start and charging system. No idea what a stock EZGO starter generator can endure with a clone engine setup.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
dirtyyoda77
Gone Wild

Club Car

check your starter solenoid jump the big posts on the solenoid and see if it spins over
dirtyyoda77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO