lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Marathon 2PG not charging

Double and triple checked all wiring between starter, battery, solenoid and regulator. has one of those old school mechanical regulators. you can see the little points close when you hit the gas and start the engine.

while engine is running only getting 11.6 volts and it drops over time. battery is new and will take charge off a car charger. If you put voltmeter wires to the DF and D- terminals of the regulator and start the engine, you can see it go way up to 18VDC. reads 0VDC there when not running, so i believe the generator works. But, you ground DF according to test in the service manual and get just the 11.6 VDC at the battery, which should mean bad S/G.

We sent the S/G off to a rebuilder who sent it back claiming it was charging fine in tests. we're back to the same result. all wires check out, new regulator, (even old one just in case) and new battery and same. not charging at all. IS our rebuilder full of it? The only place i can get full generator output is by putting DVOM negative test lead on D- of regulator, and positive lead on DF of regulator and start engine.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2019, 07:18 AM   #2
NYOZ
Getting Wild

Default Re: Marathon 2PG not charging

I would start with checking the brushes on the S/G.. There is a wear indicator on them..
NYOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Put your meter on the lugs of F2, and A1. See what it reads while running in forward.

Do it with everything connected, and with DF grounded.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:37 PM   #4
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I already grounded the DF wire with the regulator out of circuit. Not charging period. The rebuilder keeps sending it back saying the charge coil inside is good. I don't know what he uses to test but something seems wrong with this picture. If it were good I should see full generator output.

What is confusing me is why I DO see full generator output when I leave the regulator in circuit and have the test leads on D- and DF at the regulator.

I'm starting to blame the wire harness. It's all hacked by customer who has a radio and custom light kit from Walmart.

F2 and A1 running is the same 11 volts and dropping as it runs
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 cycle, ezgo, marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO