lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2020, 11:58 AM   #11
badandyturbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2013 EZ Go RXV after Solonoid Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
This does not eliminate the brake, just proves it can unlock. The controller try's to twist against a locked brake, it could still fail that test.
Ok then I stand corrected.
badandyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2020, 03:20 PM   #12
dunerbarrier
Not Yet Wild

So I am helping out my friend with the troubleshooting of this issue. I will cover what we have tried so far. I checked all of the battery voltage and they were all aproximately 8.3 volts. The pack voltage is 50.1 volts. I did a continuity test on the large terminals of the new solenoid, they had continuity. I did the solenoid test from pack negative to solenoid positive and got 50.4 volts. I tested across the large terminals of the solenoid and got 48 -50.1 volts in OFF mode. I checked the run plug and it was good. I checked the throttle switch and the first step was good (orange to black), 5.0 volts. On the next step I couldnt get anything from the pin side of the orange and black wires. the test was a little difficult for me to follow but I think I did it correctly.

Some back story. The kids killed the batteries and tried to push it without knowing anything about tow mode. A neighbor put it in tow but it would not release the brake. He swithched the terminals (1 to 3, 2 to 4) and they pushed it home. Its been dead since. A new solenoid has been installed and the batteries are charged. When we turn the key to run we hear a "clunk clunk" sound but nothing happens at throttle application. I dont feel anything with my hand on the motor brake when the clunk happens. What sounds should we hear if the brake is releasing or if the solenoid is functioning properly.

BTW when you go to tow and switch the terminals the cart will move but not what I would call easily or freely. It feels like you are draging the motor when you push it.

Any more experienced words would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
dunerbarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:49 PM   #13
dunerbarrier
Not Yet Wild

So a little more to the story has come to light. The kids were pushing the cart and hitting the throttle at the same time. It allowed them to get a little forward movement until the neighbor came out and did the terminal swap. He said to them (you burned up the ???) and there was a smell coming from under the cart. They do not remember what he said they burned up. They did nurse it about 100 yards by pushing and applying the pedal. Not sure if this helps or matters but Im trying to put everything I know out there.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:55 PM   #14
rngilliland
Gone Wild

The brake is probably bad. The burning smell was the brake. The fact it won't release with just the tow switch also sounds like a bad brake. The cart won't run because it doesn't pass the brake test when you put it in reverse or forward. Only use an Ezgo oem brake.

I you replace it make sure the three bolts aren't damaged or corroded. Tighten the bolts evenly to 50 in/lbs. If you don't have a torque wrench only tighten them until the lock washers are compressed. Make sure the tow switch is in tow and the brake is released when you tighten the bolts.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:20 PM   #15
dunerbarrier
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngilliland View Post
The brake is probably bad. The burning smell was the brake. The fact it won't release with just the tow switch also sounds like a bad brake. The cart won't run because it doesn't pass the brake test when you put it in reverse or forward. Only use an Ezgo oem brake.

I you replace it make sure the three bolts aren't damaged or corroded. Tighten the bolts evenly to 50 in/lbs. If you don't have a torque wrench only tighten them until the lock washers are compressed. Make sure the tow switch is in tow and the brake is released when you tighten the bolts.
Thank you & much appreciated. To make certain before I order a new brake, is there any way to electronically confirm it's indeed the brake?
Old 09-06-2020, 11:41 PM   #16
rngilliland
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerbarrier View Post
Thank you & much appreciated. To make certain before I order a new brake, is there any way to electronically confirm it's indeed the brake?
I don't know a way to be positive it is a brake problem. The symptoms you have described sound like what I have seen on my cart and those that friends of mine have. The burning smell comes from the brake disc dragging. Every time I have smelled that, even if the cart works for a while, it isn't long before you have to replace the brake.

The brake is easy to take apart if you want to look and see if you can spot a problem. Make sure the bolts aren't corroded or damaged. The pressure plate has to move freely on the bolts. You can test the resistance of the brake. I think it is supposed to be 25 to 28 ohms. Search the forum for RXV brake problems and you can find the correct value. The only ones I have tested were in the correct range, even on brakes that were toast.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:15 AM   #17
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerbarrier View Post
Motor brakes fail, as it is a service item that wears out. To pay a dealer to run the diagnostics and perform the labor involved to test it will likely cost you more than the cost of an OEM motor brake on eBay. Your choice of course.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:52 AM   #18
dunerbarrier
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Motor brakes fail, as it is a service item that wears out. To pay a dealer to run the diagnostics and perform the labor involved to test it will likely cost you more than the cost of an OEM motor brake on eBay. Your choice of course.
Thank you Rngilliland and BobBoyce... and everyone that has responded. I will grab a new motor brake and report back soon. Happy Labor Day!
Old 09-13-2020, 04:47 PM   #19
dunerbarrier
Not Yet Wild

Re-visiting this issue. Today, replaced the motor brake with OEM EZGO part # 610065. Unfortunately no change. I've replaced solonoid & motor brake now. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:22 AM   #20
dunerbarrier
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for the bump, just thought I'd try one more time before taking this to the shop. Have a good week.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO