lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2021, 10:41 PM   #21
81clubcar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1981 Lithium conversion possible?

Ok folks, update time:

After reading a bunch, talking over some ideas with you guys, and chatting with Dave at Revolution Golf carts... I started making some progress getting the old 81’ into the 20th century.

Dave hooked me up with just what I needed to get my system from the old resistor coils to a series so I can use LiFePO4 batts... with minimal swap outs to keep the most original parts visible and side bonus, the cost stayed down. I’m keeping my old school F/R and pedals, the only changes are under the seat.

- Alltraxx SR controller
- PB-6 throttle potentiometer
- required diode and resistors
- wiring diagrams
- (using one of my old coil solenoids instead of buying a new one)

*thanks Dave if you read this for the tech support, I know he’s on here somewhere
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 328DC601-0627-4876-8BD1-697FDEBEFB04.jpg (166.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BBEF2553-9274-4644-A72B-D5E2FE18F1A4.jpg (164.6 KB, 0 views)
81clubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2021, 10:57 PM   #22
81clubcar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I’m still in the process of wiring, making sure I get them all done right the first time. I am making each one as I go so it’s going slow, but no biggie.

Hopefully if someone is in The same boat as me these will come in handy as a step by step.

-I decided the easiest way to mount the PB-6 was to screw a Simpson plate straight to the old switch box mounting plate. That made the mounting surface big enough to screw the PB-6 right in the correct spot with no other mods required. I did have to drill the correct hole a little wider in the PB-6 arm so the throttle rod bolt would fit through, quick and painless.
- I cut a piece of wood plank to fit in the passenger side battery (2) spot to mount the Altraxx, I will most likely pull it back out, paint it, and then secure it back at some point.
- I am leaving one solenoid on the original solenoid plate (where the coils were all mounted) and I am going to rout the required wires over to it, I figure that would be easiest.

If anyone has any questions or if any of you experts see an error or something I am overlooking, please let me know!

I will keep updating and with pictures as I go.

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-18-2021, 01:40 PM   #23
81clubcar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I went ahead and ordered a 36v 72ah Eco Batt LiFePO4 because they have a couple in stock still and it is a single piece verse 2 batts wired in parallel. I haven’t seen much feedback on them so hopefully it’s a solid performer. I’ll update again once it comes in and how the meter/shunt/charger etc install goes...
Old 08-18-2021, 04:53 PM   #24
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Since you have everything out, I would go ahead replace those old cables with new ones....some of those look like '81 models. Has to have some corrosion in them.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 04:22 PM   #25
81clubcar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

What a keen eye you have Brad... lol, I have been more or less test fitting everything in while I wait for EcoBatt to arrive... which is supposed to be tomorrow if all goes well!!! That was a really quick turnaround, I was expecting a wait, I think it’s been 10 days maybe?

I will almost certainly get some new #4s for some of those long runs, the white ones have to be original 1981 vintage...

For anyone:
Is there a way to adjust the alltraxx SR if I don’t have Bluetooth or anything like that? I am kind of nervous about the 100% reverse power, I don’t want to leave rubber on my driveway and possibly the cart through wall...

Thanks for everyone’s help, I will keep posting as I make progress... latest pre-batt wiring, scooted the controller back, added a couple isolation breakers, wired up the solenoid...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B354DECE-8E03-4472-8459-3D4D4EA63F3A.jpg (196.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-23-2021, 04:27 PM   #26
81clubcar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

From what I have been reading, I will need to install a shunt for the batt monitor, is there any particular place it should/shouldn’t go in that picture? I was thinking about mounting it on the old toaster coil plate next to the solenoid and breakers... that way I can just jump from the batt to a breaker - to the shunt - then on to the Alltraxx (or wherever it goes, don’t have the diagram in front on me currently)

Thanks all.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:14 PM   #27
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81clubcar View Post
From what I have been reading, I will need to install a shunt for the batt monitor, is there any particular place it should/shouldn’t go in that picture? I was thinking about mounting it on the old toaster coil plate next to the solenoid and breakers... that way I can just jump from the batt to a breaker - to the shunt - then on to the Alltraxx (or wherever it goes, don’t have the diagram in front on me currently)

Thanks all.
You're going great 81! The ECO supplied shunt will mount directly onto the negative terminal of the ECO Battery. Then you'll wire directly to your breaker and out of the breaker to the B- terminal of the Alltrax.

I thought I had a photo of mine but I already had the shunt covered with the Black terminal protector that ECO sent.

Under the red terminal protector is a 200 amp fuse that was on my original battery pack. This was the easiest installation I have read about.

I'll try to take a photo tomorrow showing the shunt and fuse without the covers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210817_133126_1 (2).jpg (98.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210817_132940_0 (2).jpg (115.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Tom47; 08-23-2021 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Added photos
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:40 PM   #28
81clubcar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Tom,

I plan on mounting my charger and converter basically the same as you have under the driver side. My clunky old F/R switch seems to take up quite a bit more space then yours... is yours over by the controller (passenger side) on that L bracket? I was going to mount a terminal bar on my coil plate as well, but there is only (1) 12v wire coming from the dash... I am guessing all the lights, horn, etc are all spliced in somewhere up front?

Out of curiosity, what are those 2 little silver toggle switches for next to your terminal bars?
Old 08-24-2021, 07:02 AM   #29
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Thanks Tom,

I plan on mounting my charger and converter basically the same as you have under the driver side. My clunky old F/R switch seems to take up quite a bit more space then yours... is yours over by the controller (passenger side) on that L bracket? I was going to mount a terminal bar on my coil plate as well, but there is only (1) 12v wire coming from the dash... I am guessing all the lights, horn, etc are all spliced in somewhere up front?

Out of curiosity, what are those 2 little silver toggle switches for next to your terminal bars?
1)The L bracket holds the solenoid. I didn't want to mount it laying flat.

2)The F/R switch on yours should still work in its original location I think. It fit there when the two center batteries were in and this pack is the same size.

3) Not sure how the 12 volt on yours was done. These should have been a fuse panel and that probably was mounted up front. It's hard to see, but the flasher for the turn signals and the fuse block for the lights are mounted on the driver's side frame rail.

4) One toggle switch is for the 48volt to the voltage reducer and my 48 volt strobe light on the roof. The other one if for the voltage reducer output 12volts. I wanted to be able to shut off power to those accessories when I don't need them around the yard, etc.
Old 08-25-2021, 04:53 PM   #30
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Thanks Tom,

Here are the photos of the Shunt hookup as I promised.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210825_125424_5.jpg (190.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210825_125503_0.jpg (190.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210825_125441_6.jpg (108.0 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car