lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
Specularius
Not Yet Wild

Default New to the Yamaha Family

I was given a cart yesterday. It came with no information and is in rough shape. The person who gave it to me put new batteries in it and could not make it go so He gave up. I looked up the serial number and it cross reverences to a 1994 G9E. I will start working on it and I hope I can make a good cart out of it.

Here is a picture:

I will need to find some replacement body parts and it needs a lot of tender loving care.
Specularius is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
hotmomma
Wildly Wicked!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New to the Yamaha Family

Welcome! You found the right place. Lots of wonderful information here along with great sponsers! Good Luck!
hotmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Welcome to BGW! You can click on Yamaha in my signature below if you would like to view your owner's manual or parts manual for this cart. Just enter the appropriate info. on Yamaha's site. It will help familiarize you with your cart and answer many of your questions you may have in the beginning.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
SUPERBEE
Gone Wild

welcome. lot of those things around that look really nice.
SUPERBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:21 AM   #5
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

welcome.jpg
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #6
NewCartGuy
Not Yet Wild

Welcome! I currently have a G9 that I picked up in rough shape as well. It did'nt run and was a rust bucket. I am putting the finishing touch's on it today and will post some pics later.
It is a very solid cart and are alot of fun to work on.
There is a wealth of information here that should help you get it on the road again.
NewCartGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
Specularius
Not Yet Wild

I spent a couple of hours working on it yesterday. I changed the battery cables, as they were in bad shape. I started going through the electrical system. The main power solenoid is bad. I used jumper cables and jumped across the solenoid but it will not move.

I checked the path of voltage and had 36.8 volts at the following points:
terminal S on the F/R, Terminal F2 on the F/R, Terminal S2 on the motor, Terminal S1 on the motor, Terminal F1 on the F/R, Terminal R on the F/R, Terminal A1 on the motor, and terminal A2 on the motor. This is all referenced to the negative post of the battery pack.

Does this indicate that the controller is bad? What are some other things I can check before I try to find a replacement controller?

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

The first thing I would do is check the "charge lock" button on the charger receptical. It was desighned so you cant run the cart if the charger is plugged in. Spray WD40 into the the receptical and white button area and push the white button many times. Could only hope this could be the problem. Good luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:17 AM   #9
NewCartGuy
Not Yet Wild

If you have a mechanical speed control, check to make sure the swiper is contacting the copper plates on the board.
When I picked up my cart, it did not run and the owner did not know why.

I found that the copper block on the swiper arm was worn and melted the swiper arm was cracked and 3 of the copper plates on the controll were toast. I replaced them and the cart flew.
NewCartGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:42 AM   #10
Specularius
Not Yet Wild

I spent some more time on the cart last night. I checked everything, piece by piece. The stop switch is good along with the charge lockout switch is good. The F/R switch is good. I put the cart up on jack stands and tried to jump the motor to see if it would work. With the controller in the circuit, it almost burnt the end off of the jumper cable. I pulled the controller out and tried again and the motor works great both in forward and reverse and just sparks a little when the jumper cable is attached. I got to looking at the wiring and one of the cables from the F/R switch is compressed and looks like it got hot at some point. I think this build up of heat and subsequent increase in amp draw took out the solid state controller. That leads to needing a new controller. Everyone appears to like the Alltrax controllers, so that appears to be the next parts order, along with replacing all the cables to 4 gauge. If I plan on later lifting the cart, which controller should I get, the 400a or one larger?

Thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha