lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #21
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1982 Gas ezgo running a little on blocks, on the ground not

Could you check the pos. side of the coil with test light to see if you have 12V if not you may check the fuse in the fuse holder as in you pic could be blown just a thought. Also noticed in a pic your starter/gen mount bolts look loose.Won't effect the firing issue but it should be checked
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #22
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

I wasn't sure about where the solenoid is from. I knew that the guy I got it from said it was just replaced. I looked all around and searched for info on it. All I could notice on it was 12v 080. I got to thinking about him being an older farmer guy and probably not ordering from a golf cart parts place. I searched Advanced auto parts website and the standard 12v solenoid on their website is an exact match. So I guess that's where he got it from. I have the wiring for it in my manual. I checked it out and traced the wiring. I have on the outside leg on the left side red wire leading to positive on battery and wire with fuse inside boot leading to ignition switch, the next middle leg has orange wire coming from coil that splits into ignitor and wire leading to bottom leg of microswitch, the next middle is going to black grounded frame by battery and black wire from coil. The last big right leg is red wire going to F2 on starter and red going to D+ on regulator. What I did notice was the middle legs were wired exactly opposite from wiring in manual. I switched them to the correct wiring and it would not turn over at all. I switched them back to wrong way and it would start turning over again. I also, noticed that one of the middle legs in the solenoid is loose and night tightly screwed into the frame of solenoid.
fingerpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #23
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

I have to get a new voltmeter for testing tomorrow. The led is shot on the screen. My daughter must have messed it up.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #24
racin161
Gone Wild

I bought mine in a basket kinda the same issues except I didn't have a coil so to make sure I had all the bases covered after rebuilding the engine I replaced the solenoid with the PROPER 12v CART solenoid. After that I did the HEI conversion which was cheap and very simple to do. Used a 76 stock module chevy and a stock 76 dodge coil any standard 12v non resistor coil will work.HEI dose not need a resistor.Look on the post for HEI conversion sure way to get rid of your problems.Your wiring sounds correct.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #25
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Now seems we're on the right track!!

get some fire on that puppy and you should be running.
I second the HEI conversion if you have to replace any of your original ignition parts.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #26
orangecart75
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm new, so this may sound dumb but did you choke it? Mine, when cold, will not crank up until I pull the choke out half way. Once it gets going I can slide it back in.
orangecart75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #27
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

I'll check out that HEI conversion. I have tried pulling the choke out and haven't noticed a difference. I haven't been able to mess with the cart today. My neighbor talked me into putting up a fence with him. So, hopefully I'll be able to get to it tomorrow. I still have the feeling that something is up with the solenoid though after noticing the middle terminal have to be wired up backwards to try to crank over, and also one of the middle terminal legs are loose inside frame of solenoid. I wasn't able to get a voltmeter today either. I need to get that tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted and I appreciate the help.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #28
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I'm doubting that automotive solenoid, A cart solenoid is internally grounded and needs a power supply and ground to the two small posts which means it can be mounted on plastic and still work. The automotive or "ford style" solenoid is externally grounded and must be mounted to a metal grounded surface. So i'm not sure what the second post that has all of the ground wires on it is doing. For some reason I want to think it fed a full 12V to the coil through a resister of older cars when starting them.
I would opt for a cart solenoid before you spend any money elsewhere and go from there.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #29
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Yeah, for the moment I am going to order a new cart solenoid so I can make sure that it is wired exactly right. It is wired to a metal plate along with regulator, and ignitor.It is baffling that the two middle ones had to be wired opposite to turn over. I'll keep you guys posted in a few days when it arrives.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #30
crash12888
Gone Crazy

That's what is bugging me, a cart solenoid can be wired the way you want because it being internally grounded so the two wires can go on either post and it will work. Something just not right there.
Keep us posted, we'll git'er worked out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO