lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
1lane66
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 ezgo gas cart

I was able to get the cover off the drive clutch and removed the spring and the outer housing. the internal parts seemed ok but wasn't real sure at what I was looking for. the 3 arms that were attached to the outer mechanism and down to the output shaft were intact. I sprayed the whole thing down with CRC Freeze Off to see if it would free up what ever was stuck, let it set, the shot it with alittle WD40. Put it back together and still wouldn't engage the drive belt under load. on stands it would move the wheels but not very fast. Are the internal arms I was looking at suppose to push something out to close the gap up on the drive belt as the speed of the motor increases?
1lane66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #12
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Yes that is how it works. There is a big spring that holds the halves of the clutch apart (these plates are called sheaves) As the clutch spins faster centrifugal force should drive the weights out which then press on the spring compressing it and closing the sheaves thus grabbing the belt. As the engine speed increases the sheaves get closer which causes the belt to ride higher and this is how a constant velocity transmission changes gear.

One of the sheaves will be on a collar that slides on the center axle of the clutch and I suspect that some corrosion has got in there and is holding the clutch open. It might respond to more rust buster or even running the engine might cause enough vibration and pressure on the spring to release it. If you do that then either remove the drive belt or keep it on stands, you don't want it to suddenly engage and run off with you.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #13
1lane66
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I got the clutch free, just had a little rust on it. Cleaned the shaft and the clutch moves freely as does the weights. Once the engine is running and up to speed the sheaves close somewhat but won't close far enough to grab the drive belt tight enough to make it move any faster than a walk. Took it all apart and found nothing binding. I can slid the clutch back and fourth with no problem and the spring returns it to home position (engine idle or stop) with ease also. Why won't the weights hold it tight to the belt like it should? This thing is wearing me out on small problems. See my cart at my album.
1lane66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
Blinkey
Not Yet Wild

Hi Nomo.... Im am new to the forum and just bought a 88 ezgo and I am having a hard time finding the manual. If your offer a while ago to send a PDF if still available Id greatly appreciate it. My email is....gblinkey@gmail. Thank for the consideration.
Blinkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #15
nomo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkey View Post
Hi Nomo.... Im am new to the forum and just bought a 88 ezgo and I am having a hard time finding the manual. If your offer a while ago to send a PDF if still available Id greatly appreciate it. My email is....gblinkey@gmail. Thank for the consideration.
No problem! Let me search for the file and it will be on it's way. Hope it helps!
nomo
nomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #16
danger42
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

If you can't find it, I think I still have the copy you sent me. Lemme know.

matt
danger42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #17
bananaman
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lane66 View Post
I got the clutch free, just had a little rust on it. Cleaned the shaft and the clutch moves freely as does the weights. Once the engine is running and up to speed the sheaves close somewhat but won't close far enough to grab the drive belt tight enough to make it move any faster than a walk. Took it all apart and found nothing binding. I can slid the clutch back and fourth with no problem and the spring returns it to home position (engine idle or stop) with ease also. Why won't the weights hold it tight to the belt like it should? This thing is wearing me out on small problems. See my cart at my album.
Wrong belt?
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:59 AM   #18
Harry Mosier
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation Re: 1988 ezgo gas cart

1988 ezgo gas 2 cycle golf cart. What do I Need to do so it will not shut off when pedal is released?
Harry Mosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:29 PM   #19
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

There's a way to do that but why would you want it to keep running when releasing the pedal?
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO