lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: LED lights fried?

Here is a chart for estimating the projected lifespan, amp flow and light output of an incandescent bulb when it is ran at voltages different than what it is rated at.

Running a 12V (nominal) incandescent bulb at 16V (nominal) is a 33.3% increase in voltage, so the lifespan is multiplied by a factor of about 0.035.

Therefore, if the bulb's projected lifespan is 5,000 hours at 12V, its projected lifespan is about 175 hours at 16V.

---------
On the other had, LED bulbs are a different can of worms.

A bare Light Emitting Diode operates at less than 5V (some colors and types as low as 1.9V), so a LED light fixture that is designed to work at 12V has a voltage reduction circuit built into it to reduce the 12V input to the low voltage the LED elements need. There is a huge variety of voltage reduction circuits used and some can only operate over a narrow range of input voltage while others can operate over a very wide range. Ideally, the fixture should be labeled with the voltage range it will operate in, but you will probably have to do some research to find out what the acceptable voltage range for a LED fixture is.

I'm kicking around the idea of adding a couple of 27W 60° LED floodlights to my cart, not so much to see better at night as to be better seen during the day while driving in town.
Amazon.com: SHANREN LED Work Light Lamp Off Road High Power ATV Jeep 4x4 Tractor 27w 60 Degree Flood Light: Automotive Amazon.com: SHANREN LED Work Light Lamp Off Road High Power ATV Jeep 4x4 Tractor 27w 60 Degree Flood Light: Automotive

I'd run them at 12V (Auxiliary output on my TecScan lighting system), but as you can see in the specs, they can be ran with anything for 10V to 30V.

BTW: LED fixtures should have about the same brightness and color temperature throughout the voltage range they are designed for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Light bulb voltage vs current vs output vs life.JPG (43.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO