lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
MotoRider420
Gone Wild

Cool Re: Can you use jumper cable to make wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
Because there are gains to be had with 4 gauge. Try running a 650 amp alltrax and a hot motor on 6 or 8 and they will probly go up in a puff of smoke.
You know, thats probably the fourth time I've seen "puff of smoke" on this forum, lol. Well, I have no idea what 650 amps would be doing in an electric golf cart, however I do understand resistance, Area x Length = Resistance

But if you only have 36V and a budget, wouldn't 6ga or 8ga be fine? Especially if the factory uses it?
MotoRider420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #12
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Can you use jumper cable to make wires

Yea they will work but the OP doesn't wan't to replace his cable with 6 or 8...he wants 4.

Adding 4 gauge cable is one off the cheapest upgrades. The power capabilities gained by adding 4 gauge far outweighs the power lost by the added resistance of 4 gauge....and besides electrical resistance of a wire is greater for a longer wire, less for a wire of larger cross sectional area.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:53 PM   #13
MotoRider420
Gone Wild

Yep, I messed up my resistance formula, I shouldn't have a B in Physics 2 AP... Well, I agree about the performance gains, you have convinced me, I guess I need to start looking for cheap 4ga wire (and terminals) huh?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #14
drippingwithgold
Not Yet Wild

I was wanting to go with 4 so when I need a motor or a new controller I would be ready to upgrade to bigger and better parts. It appears that you also get a little more power just upgrading the cables.
drippingwithgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #15
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

You want 4g Welding cable with over 400 strand count. Remember, electrons flow on the outside of the wires, so higher strand counts mean higher efficiency. House wiring is not suitable for the acidic environment of the battery bay.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:10 PM   #16
drippingwithgold
Not Yet Wild

Ok, thanks!
drippingwithgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:02 AM   #17
MotoRider420
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
You want 4g Welding cable with over 400 strand count. Remember, electrons flow on the outside of the wires, so higher strand counts mean higher efficiency. House wiring is not suitable for the acidic environment of the battery bay.
Wait, the electricity only flows on the outside of the wire? Well, I have a resistor cart and the resistor is hella rusted, would that impede the power my motor gets!?!?!

Welding cable huh? How would I attach ends to it, I noticed one person said soldering, what about crimps? I don't have a soldering gun/torch thingy. What about crimping and soldering (in case you are a bad solderer)...???
Old 02-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #18
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Your resistors are not in the circuit at WOT. At partial throttle, the resistors DO impede the current to the motor. That's why it goes slower.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:43 AM   #19
hambone
Not Yet Wild

hey dudes im hambone n i love 2 play speed golf!
using jumper cables prolly isnt the way 2 go.4awg cable isnt limited to just welding lead. ill be pulling cable off a spool at work (telecom) its pretty stiff sh__ and they got crimpers,noax and heat shrink i could use so we should b sittin pretty fat there.
my goal is 2 blow my boys away this year w/ a hellaciously fast cushman. ill call it "the sleeper"
hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:40 AM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

hambone, WELCOME to BGW FORUM! Post up pictures of the Cushman. The exsquirts here can have you playing polo on it!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO